Friday, February 12, 2016

And so it begins. Again.

Lent began on Wednesday.

Seriously, didn't we just do this? It's kind of alarming that I'm at that stage in life where yesterday and last year are pretty much the same thing. Actually, even 10 years doesn't seem like that long ago.

I'm not sure where that leaves us.

Much like in years' past, I'm giving up processed foods,* but this year I'm going for extra holy, so I'm also adding another element to this whole ordeal: I'm giving up buying anything, too.** I don't actually buy that much, 'cause minimalism, yo, but I do rather enjoy coffees and the occasional lunch (and dinner) out on the town.

It's just too easy to walk down the street and pick up a sandwich.

I see these two things as extensions of each other: If I'm not eating processed food, that means most restaurant eating is out, and if I'm not buying anything, that means, like, no food treats at the grocery store.

So why am I doing this?

Well, mainly because I want it to be hard. I want to have to think about what I'm doing, and therefore be thinking about the purpose of Lent. I want to have to struggle a little bit. I want to see how strong I am. Or maybe how weak.

And I guess, too, there's the whole question of why I'm sharing this. Because the point isn't to go bleating about it to everyone so they know what you're doing -- you're supposed to, you know, act like nothing is even going on from the outside. I find, though, that sharing helps me with accountability. Because even though you'd think the fires of hell would be enough (kidding), the spirit is weak.

Seriously weak.

So that's what I'll be up to for the next 40 plus days (you're allowed to take Sundays off, but Eric and I like to just plow on through ... it's kind of easier with no cheat days, if that makes any sense).


* Before you even ask, no, this is NOT Whole 30. I'm not even 100 percent sure what that actually means. My definition of unprocessed equals four or less ingredients, although that's not a hard and fast rule (Fritos have three ingredients, and you can't tell me THAT stuff isn't processed). I will be consuming dairy because coffee just really is better with milk. I have no qualms with sugar, either. But I won't be consuming any prepackaged cereal, or chips, or crackers, or anything good, really. (Good-bye, Annie's Cheddar Bunnies. I'll miss you!)

** For obvious reasons, this does not include groceries. 'Cause we kind of need to eat. And my kids and husband aren't on this train, just me.

No comments: