Friday, October 21, 2011

So go do what you like

Wow, a whole week of harvest fest.  Good thing nothing much happened this week, aside from my house becoming such a mess that it makes my teeth hurt and that guy who called the office with a really crappy connection whom I forwarded onto the ad department because it sort of sounded like he was asking for one of the guys back there... and it turns out he was really just wanting a repair shop.

Work with me, people.

So I guess I mentioned a tangent way back in Harvest Fest, Part I, which, if I may be so bold as to quote myself, went a little something like this:
First things first: That would be our favorite local craft bazaar.  There's another craft bazaar, but it is NOT local.  Going to the local bazaar makes us feel virtuous.  Plus we really don't want to spend the $6 to get into the other one.

OH, except.  I just thought of a tangent, but it might have to wait for later.
Here's the thing.  Last Thursday--what?  The 13th?-- I was sitting at my desk, probably doing something VERY important and minding my own business.  The editor comes up to me and is all like, don't say I never give you anything, and flips me this three-day pass to the $6 non-local vendor craft show.  And I was all like, wow, thanks, haven't been there in years, that will be fun.  And he's all like, while you're there, if you could take a few pictures for us... that would be great.  And I was all, oh, gotcha.  Sure, no problem.

It's sort of funny that he wanted me to take pictures with my little old Kodak EasyShare camera.  I mean, my camera is awesome and apparently is running on nine lives--we keep thinking it's about to die and yet, it somehow does not.  Over and over again.  But the paper has an incredibly talented photographer already, plus a couple of reporters who aren't so shabby with a camera, either.  With actual, professional cameras.

That's called irony.  I think.  Sometimes it's all a little sketchy.

So Friday the girls didn't have school and my parents were good enough to watch them while I was at work.  And I was all like, hey... how about you keep my kids a little overtime and I'll go check out that $6 non-local vendor craft show?  And Mom was all like, okay!  And I'll feed them dinner!  And feed you when you pick them up!

Oh, and.  Eric's great-aunt passed away (or maybe it was a second cousin?  Family trees are confusing), so he had left town for the funeral earlier that morning.  I was thinking of going with him, but for a variety of reasons--the college game he was going to meet my dad at, plus harvest festing--we decided I'd just stay home.  I still feel bad for not going.  She was really a great lady, and I'd have gone just because of that.

But I did have a whole hour and a half TO MYSELF after work.

I was getting out of my car and trying to get my camera and reporter's notebook* and pass all squared away, and ended up seeing my eye doctor receptionist and another lady who was our old youth minister back in the day, and they're all like, hey!  And I was all like, hey back!  And then we walked to the gate together, or actually, what we thought was the gate, and the kid was all like, you have to go over there.  But then he saw my pass and was all like, except you, you can enter here if you want.  And the ladies were all like, IS THAT A PRESS PASS?  And I was like, um, sorta.

I gotta admit, I felt like a rock star.  Or a kid dressed up as a rock star for Halloween. One of those two things.

So essentially I was just planning to walk around a bit and see the sights and try to take pictures.  Turns out, the $6 non-local vendor craft show was sort of boring on the picture front.  I did enjoy seeing the vendors more than I thought I would, but pictures were not allowed in that particular area and I wasn't in the mood to try to prove myself a member of the press.  Maybe a member of the press' distant, distant relative... no, probably not even that.

Oh, but I bought this:

It's a chalkboard.

(You know what this thing is?  It's a reclaimed cabinet door.  Brilliant!  Plus Eric can totally make this, if I ever think of anyone who needs a cute little chalkboard.)

I went back outside in search of someone or something interesting to photograph.  I found Deb the Receptionist (not to be confused with Deb in Sales) and was all like, um, would you let me take a picture of your family?  And Deb was all like, sure!  So I did.  And I felt better, because at least now I had SOMETHING to show for my pass. Like maybe I earned it a little now.

I got to my parents' house around 6:30, starving.  But of course I had to share what I just bought, so I took my spankin' new chalkboard in to show Mom.  Who freaked.  She was all like, I NEED THAT.  And I was all like, I KNOW, RIGHT?  So we hopped into my car and went tearing back downtown (my dinner uneaten.  Well, there ARE priorities in this life) so we would make it there before the 7 p.m. closing.  I showed my pass at the actual front gate this time and was all like, can I take my Mommy with me?  And the lady was all like, go for it, you have 10 minutes until closing anyway.  And Mom was all like, press passes rule.

So we got her a chalkboard, too.  And then I went back to her house and ate some really yummy lasagna.

Saturday I took pictures at the various stops we made--a couple at the local craft fair, a couple at my favorite fruit stand.  I took pictures of people I knew, since I was going to have to identify them later: Abby's teacher selling jewelry, Mrs. J and her ducks, Clara at the fruit stand.  It was sort of fun.  And people were really cool about it and seemed to believe me and my purpose, even with my dorky camera.

Sunday Abby wanted a Mama Day, so we went shopping (Wal-Mart, groceries) and then hit downtown again for one more shot at picture-taking at the $6 non-local vendor craft show.  Since Abby is in the 12-and-under category, she got in free.  I'm going to have to start bringing her birth certificate along because she's so tall no one believes me.  So I have to resort to saying things like, 1999, yo.  Still have vivid birthing memories.

You'd THINK that would be impressive, but apparently not.

I tried harder this time around.  I took some random shots that I hoped "captured the feel of the event."  Or something.  Then I ran into one of my friends from high school and her husband and got a shot of them by this huge carved pumpkin.  They kissed its cheek and picked its nose.  Money shot!

I also took this:

Existential comment on the condition of mankind.
Plus the shadows make it "art."

Unfortunately, that one didn't make it in.

But my picture of Clara, Mrs. J and Deb the Receptionist and Family DID.  On the back page, sure, but whatevs.

...And that really IS the end.  I promise.

*Because I was supposed to be getting names.  I never did use the thing.  Business cards!  That's where it's at.

Green Day, "When I Come Around." (My favorite part of this video is when he takes the phone off the hook.)  You may find out that our self-doubt means nothing, was ever there. You can't go forcing something if it's just not right.

No comments: