Tuesday, April 3, 2012

I know how you get your way

So I thought about writing an April Fool's post, but the truth is that I really am not a fan of April Fool's Day.  Maybe it's all the pregnancy announcements on Facebook (riiiiight), or Johanna's instance that there's a spider / snake / bear / mongoose in the house (pretending to fall for that over and over is exhausting), or that I'm just naturally gullible every other day of the year but am on high alert on April 1 and it makes me sort of bitter (another post for another day).

All that is to say: No joke post.  You're welcome.

THIS fine Tuesday morning I did sort of pull one over on Abby, although it was more for the sake of her mental stability than any sick need on my part to prank.  She had an orthodontist appointment, which is all well and good, but then I took her to the doctor's office for the last in a series of vaccinations she's been getting.  What is up with all the shots kids have to get these days?  Good lord!  Back when I was young (cough)... oh, never mind.  I don't enough energy to rant.

She was despondent and despairing after her ortho appointment because she thought she'd be getting her braces off soon.  No such luck.  Triangle bands!  That's sort of exciting, although apparently not when you're on that side of things.  Anyway, afterwards she was all like, so school now?  And I was all nonchalant and, yep.  Except then I drove to the doctor's office, and she was all, no. I am not getting out of this car.  And I was like, I know.  Because she did get out of the car, and I didn't even have to make her, not that I could have anyway--she's 5'11", or dang close.  How do you force THAT against its will?

The sucky part is that we had to sit a full 35 minutes in the waiting room--there's no such thing as an appointment with this sort of ordeal.  It got very boring and tense.  I brought my poser iPad just in case she was in the mood to draw mean pictures, but she wasn't.  She just sat there, staring straight ahead, giving me the silent treatment.  That's cool.  I mean, I did sort of deserve it.

When they finally called her name, she was beyond freaked.  She can really get herself worked up, that one.  Well, she comes by it naturally.  (Hello!  That was me!  That IS me!)  We got a new nurse (although I swear to you, the nurse we always get was behind the counter doing a happy dance because she didn't have to deal with us), who was very nice and very distressed that Abby was so upset.  But that kid sucked it up and was a champ and now we're done.

Hooray!

So on the way home she's all, can I get Taquis?  Now Taquis, in case you aren't in middle school / have taste buds, are what Frito's would be if they were rolled up like a Cheeto and hotter than the fires of hell.  I was like, sure thing.  She got the biggest bag she could find, and I was all, I'm so glad you're not taking advantage of this situation.  Which made her laugh.

So that's pretty much been my morning.  Oh, there's probably time to do some sort of housekeeping chore, except if I play my cards right, there won't be.


Fuel, Gone.  This is what I downloaded instead of NKOTB/BSB.  Take that, iTunes Genius!  Apparently there's some Fuel controversy in that this song isn't sung by the original lead singer, so is it really Fuel?  Honestly, I don't care.  I just like how it sounds.

No comments: