Monday, July 15, 2013

T-minus four

A warm welcome from the orchard next door.
I'm in my last week of being 40, and, having thought long and hard about how I want to spend my last days as an International Bright Young Thing*, have composed a list of what I'd like to accomplish before the big 4-1 (not that THAT is very traumatic in and of itself. The 4 stays the same, after all). You know, really make the most of my days by:
  1. Drinking coffee
  2. Napping
  3. Dying my hair
  4. I mentioned napping, right?
  5. Reading
(You're probably wondering how I'm fitting all of this in. It has been a busy, packed week to be sure, but somehow I manage.)

The interesting part about aging is that, of course, you don't feel any older on the inside. Sometimes I'll catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror and I'll literally be shocked. I still imagine I look like I did in high school--no glasses, no dark roots, no bags under my eyes, no facial hair. Out of everything, I think it's the facial hair and the fact that my tweezers are my best friend that pisses me off the most. I feel a rant coming on, but raging against the machine is NOT on my list, so... moving on.

Well, whatever, I guess. The upside is that I get to pick my cake, and I'm thinking creme brule, which is not a cake, yes, I realize that, but the birthday girl is always right. Plus creme brule is way easier to make than a cake, just FYI. And yes, I'm making my own birthday dessert! This is what you call "control issues."

And wow, July goes fast. How can it possibly already by mid-month already?

*Jesus Jones. I don't know, I always just kind of liked this song. Reminds me of my freshman year of college when I scored the cassette tape for like three bucks at the music store. And THAT, my internet friends, is how you date yourself without even trying.

No comments: