Friday, February 3, 2012

Going nowhere

I meant to write on Groundhog's Day, because obviously that's a holiday for the books, but I had to watch 30 Rock and Parks and Rec* and The Office, so there went that.  Thursday is the big TV day in our household.  It's handy that all our favorite shows are on the same night.

Except for Chuck, I guess, but now it's over, and I'm in denial about that, even if we only caught it once this season because we kept forgetting it had moved to Friday nights.  Don't do that to us, NBC!

Um, never mind.

Groundhog's Day Quote of the Day (wow, that does not flow, does it?)
"How often do we put a rodent on a pedestal and make it predict the weather?" --The UPS guy.

...And now for something completely different:
Abby had a basketball game in the hinterlands, and Mom and Eric carpooled together.  Johanna and I stayed home, mostly because the game was smack in the middle of school and work and whatnot.  And fine, I find basketball stressful, okay?  So while I'm happy to watch the weekend games wherever they may be, I'm okay with letting Eric go solo to the games during the week under the guise of "work" and "school."

Anyway, Eric and Mom met at my office, so around 3 p.m. she came in to chat a bit while she waited.  Who should be in the office but Cranky Steve!  Cranky Steve is all about meeting people, so I'm like, hey, have you met my Mom?  And he was all, I don't think so.  So I was like, Mom!  This is Cranky Steve!  And Steve was all, hi!  And Mom was all, nice to meet you!  And it was all really rather heartwarming, if you want to know the truth.

And then Mom turned to me and said, I don't know what you're talking about, he's delightful!  That made Steve laugh.  It also made Stacey and I laugh, since we'd been subjected to his crankiness all afternoon.

Oh, and P.S. Steve apparently had fried potatoes and five brownies for breakfast.  Stacey thought he needed to work in a vegetable for dinner, but he was all, at my age, you don't worry about that sort of thing.  Personally, I think five brownies for breakfast sounds reasonable.  That is a diet I could get behind.  If I didn't die every time I ate too much sugar or fat or basically anything delicious.

And then I picked up my happy little Johanna from school, and we had a nice dinner together, and she played a lot of Temple Run on the poser iPad while I cleaned the kitchen, and then Eric and Abby came home all excited because Abby's team won (19-9) and Abby made two baskets and her gross toenail (did I ever write about that?) is looking more gray now than black because it was bleeding or something.  The lesson there is that when you're a post and under the basket a lot, you're not the only one jumping on your feet.

*I LOVE PARKS AND REC!  AND YES, I AM SHOUTING ABOUT THAT!  THAT'S HOW GREAT IT IS!

Snow update:

Hey, we have grass!


Adam Lambert, Mad World.  Abby and I are all about this particular version lately.  Nothing like a good isolation song to get you going in the morning.  Angst is fun!

No comments: