Saturday, August 31, 2013

August Pointless Lists

Well, there goes summer. This always happens--it's the Fourth of July, an then suddenly, September. The girls start school in four days, and while I'll miss sleeping in every morning (going to work at 1 p.m. is awesome), I'm kind of looking forward to getting back into our regular routine. Um, and having four hours of quiet every morning, what, don't judge me.

So. August. For some reason I didn't really write anything on the calendar this month (I like to keep track of what we've been up to. Usually), so it's a bit of a challenge to remember what happened. But here's what I've come up with: Really hot weather. Tomatoes! Our canyon adventure. School shopping in Portland. (Ugh, malls.) We got rid of our LAN line and went all cell. Oh, jeez, and I met the Governor! That was kind of cool.

Well, good enough. Pointless list time!

Books read:
This is so sad, you guys--I didn't read any books at all. What happened is I found this...

Check this out:
ReFashionista. Actually, I've known about this site for a while, but this month I started at the beginning and worked my way through ALL of her posts. Basically this chick takes thrift store finds--for $1 or less--and turns them into things you'd actually WANT to wear. I've never sewn clothes--although I have made plenty of quilts and wall hangings--but this makes me really want to try to refashion something myself. I'm still working up the nerve.

Garden update:
Our poor little garden is just not doing as well this year as it has in the past. I guess the good news is that our 12 tomato plants are doing okay, which is most of the battle as far as I'm concerned. So lots of tomatoes, and lots of basil--which means lots of pesto. Fun fact: Abby loves pesto pasta. Johanna would rather eat her pasta plain. Eric puts pesto on anything that sits still long enough. I like it, myself, but only as a friend.

Canning update:
I only canned a box of peaches this year, instead of my usual two, because we still have half a dozen in the pantry from last year. My peaches this year are gorgeous. Last year, not so much. Whatevs.  I also did another box of tomatoes. Pretty!

Not canning, but I've been drying cherry tomatoes for the freezer (too much of a worrywart to just leave them on the shelf). I also dried apricots, but I can't remember if that was this month or last. Time, you know. Confusing.

Things I learned:
When your jaw hurts because you clench it for like a week straight, and you go online to see if there's anything you can do to get some relief, the predominate advice is simply not to clench your jaw. As a chronic clench-er, trying not to clench my jaw is frustrating and makes me want to clench my jaw. See where I'm going here?

Also: I already knew this, but seriously, when the going gets tough, Eric is awesome. I like that boy.

No comments: