Monday, September 15, 2014

The grey area

Remember in April when I announced I was letting my hair go grey?

Well, I'm still going gently into that good night. I haven't quite decided I look darling in hats and ponytails yet, but wow, I might be close.

Waiting to check out of our hotel during our trip to Leavenworth,
approximately 30 seconds before Jo dumped my coffee. Love
her face. Anyway, see my grey?

I'm actually okay with the grey parts of my hair. And I like my natural brown, or what's left of it. It's the sad, brassy dyed ends that are getting to me. But ever undaunted, I press on. I mean, I'm going to have to grow it out eventually anyway, I guess. May as well be now.

Hey, true story, when I announced I was giving up hair dye, my mother and grandma decided they were in, too. They were all like, you're the inspiration, which kind of reminded me of that song they used to play over and over and over at our middle school during noon dances. Mid-80s. We had a lot of noon dances for some reason. Probably just to herd us, now that I think about it.

God, middle school. If I had to pick one argument as to why I would never go back and do it all over again, that would be it.

Wait, what was I talking about?

So my mother calls me a month or two later, and was all, remember how I wasn't going to dye my hair anymore? I caved. And then she called Grandma to confess, but Grammie couldn't talk at that particular moment because she was busy dying her hair.

I don't know, I thought that was funny.

Anyway, Eric keeps saying that 2015 is going to be my year, i.e. my whole head will be grey, but I'm thinking maybe 2016 will have to be my year because this is taking longer than expected.

Ah, well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Braver than me! Of course, your hair is thick and lush and wonderful, whether grey or not, and mine is thin and sad and shows my scalp. I can't be grey AND balding...just can't go there yet.

Trisha Walker said...

Thick hair helps, I guess, but I've found the real key to my success is simply not looking in mirrors anymore. :)