Saturday, October 8, 2011

I think about this world a lot and I cry

So yesterday afternoon we had this guy come into the office and basically just go bat shit crazy on us.  And I was sort of thinking of writing about that, but now I'm thinking, why bother?  The guy was a jerk, sucks to be him, life goes on.

Stacey and I found it necessary to medicate ourselves with coffee afterwards, though.  I mean, life goes on a little easier with coffee.

And that's way too much time on that particular subject.  So.

Friday night!  Eric and Abby's plans involved going to our nephew Cody's football game with my father-in-law.* Johanna and I were slated to spend a quiet evening at home, except.  Grocery shopping would provide an excuse to get out, but why not stop by my parents' as well?  We hadn't seen them for  a while.  I missed them.  I gave them a call.

My parents were ever so happy to see us.  They've been under self-quarantine with bad colds for the past week and apparently hadn't gotten out much.  That probably explains the excitement.  (Well, that, and Johanna and I are awesome.)  Normally I have an agenda when I go over there (my parents are great about watching the girls when I work).  Not this time.  So I was all, hey, let's check out your computer.  And Mom was all, yay!

Because: Mom's cousin had sent a link to pictures of my grandparents' anniversary party weeks ago, but the 'rents couldn't get them loaded onto a CD.  And there's always music Mom wants on her iPod.  And then I remembered iTunes 69-cent songs and I was all like, DAD!  iTUNES!  And he was all, okay.

First things first: I failed getting the pictures off the website.  Their Dell does not work like my iMac (another reminder of why my poser computer is SO WORTH IT).  Well, that was disappointing.  Especially since now I have to remember to pull the pictures off of my computer...

So then we moved onto pictures taken at a carnival Mom and Dad put on for Johanna and her friends this summer (pre-blog, which is unfortunate, because that would have been a post for the books).  I've been meaning to get Mom's pictures since July so I can make her a scrapbook.  So I did emerge victorious on that count.

And can I just say, yay USB drives?  Love them.

We tackled Mom's iPod next, although we got a little sidetracked by iTunes.  I mean, come on!  Those 69-cent songs are sort of awesome.  You can find all kinds of stuff that you've totally forgotten about.  And rocking out with my parents to Vanilla Ice's "Ice Ice Baby?"  Priceless.

You may be wondering what Johanna was doing all this time.  She was playing and reading.  Sometimes she'd come in to check on us.  Sometimes she'd join the from-the-chair dance party.  This, I believe, is called "letting your child find her wings," which sounds way better than "throwing your kid over for iTunes."

After an hour or two, Johanna and I announced it was time to go shopping, but we should have just taken a seat because we spent the next twenty minutes or so chatting in the living room.  It'd had been a while since we'd all seen each other, remember?  There was a lot to talk about.  And!  Mom gave me my birthday quilt she'd recently finished.  Here's a picture of it almost finished, when Skilly was under the mistaken impression his grandmother made the quilt for him:

Flannel Christmas squares.
Gorgeous here, even better finished.

Johanna and I hit the grocery store about 8 p.m., and let me tell you this: THAT is the time to shop, because the place was deserted.  There was plenty of room for Johanna to dance when "Thriller" came on over the store sound system.  She normally doesn't have the luxury of open space.  It still took a while to get through the store, though, just because Johanna likes to really check things out.  She is a good shopper.  And I got extra hugs for tossing hot chocolate mix into the cart.

We made it home around 9 p.m., way past Johanna's bedtime, which she loved.  We put groceries away, got the kid a snack (she's growing again) and then wrapped up in my new quilt to read a bedtime story.

And then I went onto iTunes and picked up a few 69-cent songs for myself.  Eric came home and teased me for getting Cheap Trick's "The Flame," but he doesn't have the camp memories I do.  That was a theme song one year, so clearly I need it for my collection.  I also got Mazzy Star's "Fade into You" because it reminds me of my senior year of college, and of Eric, and missing him.  He did not tease me about that particular purchase.

The end.

*Let's just say that cold weather, plus the fact that Johanna can NOT sit still over the course of a football game, makes staying at home a better option for the two of us.  Waiting for her to fall through the bleachers isn't exactly the most relaxing way to spend an evening.

REM, "You Are the Everything."  This song contains my all-time favorite line ever: And you're drifting off to sleep with your teeth in your mouth.  Probably I could also say something about how when the world makes me want to cry, I have family and friends and Eric who make me laugh.  But that would be really cheesy, so never mind.

No comments: