Tuesday, October 25, 2011

I want something that I want

So today Abby got a letter.  Abby never gets mail unless it's her birthday (well, she's in that texting generation, so I suppose that's no surprise), so the mere fact that there was a letter in the mailbox with her name on it was pretty amazing.  She opened it up and started reading... and then was like, uh, Mom, you need to see this.*
Hello Abby! So--your mom was wondering if anyone reads her blog--well, I read that you wanted some knock off Uggs?  With your mom's permission... maybe a pair are in your future compliments of Aunt Ann?  I wish you luck!  My only request... I see a photo of the boots (and your "happy feet") on Facebook! Everyone's wearing them and Aunt Ann thinks they look pretty cute.  Love, Annie
And I was all like, Ann reads my blog?  And Abby was like, I think you're sort of missing the point.  And also, when can we go?

Turns out the shoe store is open weeknights until 8:30 p.m.  I called Mom (hi, Mom!) to see if she felt like going with us.  Turns out, she did.  Abby was very excited to tell her grandma the story of Why She Was Going to the Store to Buy Ugg Knock-offs at 6:30 PM.  We all agreed that Aunt Ann rocks.

So 6:30 is THE time to buy shoes, apparently.  I sort of figured they were open late just to give the kids who work there time to restock the shelves or something.  Not so much the case.  I had not expected lines, but there they were.

Abby went straight to her size, found a pair, and put them on.  And she was like, THESE ARE PERFECT!  I did my little toe tester tap on the end--I'm never really sure what I'm looking for when I do that, but Grandma M. sold shoes and she always did that, so obviously I have to do it, too--and then Mom did the same thing, which made me laugh.  Great minds and all that.

I handed Abby the phone so she could call Ann while we waited in line, but she got her voicemail and got scared and hung up.  (Abby doesn't like answering machines. It's a family trait.)

Abby wore her new knock-offs out of the store.  She skipped all the way to the car, and kept announcing how warm and cozy her feet were.  To say she was pleased would be an understatement.

Fun fact: When I was in seventh grade, Ann took me to this really cool store with clothing way out of my price range and bought me a pair of leggings and an oversized shirt.  (Well, it was the '80s.)  Every time I wore that outfit, I felt totally awesome.  It was the only thing I wore all year that was actually "in."  So I sort of know how Abby feels, except that kid is way more stylish than I ever was.

Not too shabby for knock-offs, eh?

Once we got back home, Abby tried Ann again, and got her voicemail again, but this time left a message.  I took a picture of a very happy Abby and her new boots to post on Facebook.  We've been home for like three hours now and Abby still hasn't taken her boots off.  And I detect an extra hint of sassiness in her voice.

P.S. Abby is wondering aloud if maybe she could sleep in her boots, too, because now that she's finally taken them off, her feet are cold.

So this concludes the story about Why Ann Is Awesome.  Thank you, Ann--what a cool surprise.

*I tried to scan the actual letter, but for some reason, it's not showing up.  Well, fine!  There's more than one way to skin a cat.  Apparently.

Grace Potter, "Something That I Want."  The girls LOVE this song.  Tangled, you know.

No comments: