Friday, January 10, 2014

The Care Package Project: January

Figure 1: January care package contents
I tend to make a lot of New Year's Resolutions even though 1) I always say my resolution is not to make any resolutions and B) I never end up keeping them past the second week of January. This time around, I'm doing it differently, probably because Johanna decided it's REVOLUTION instead of resolution, and when you're in revolt, you've got to step it up a notch. It's an action-packed verb that deserves to be taken seriously. Or as seriously as I can muster, which is up for debate.

Abby and I have a joint "revolution" going on this year, which is namely this: We are going to pick someone (or someones) each month whom we think could use a good cheering up, or encouragement, or just some love. It's kind of a crappy world out there, you guys, but we're revolting! NOT THAT KIND OF REVOLTING. Whatever, we decided it would just be really fun to send packages out into the world and maybe make a few people feel special.

My Aunt Jan is one such person who could use a good cheering up, some encouragement, and a bit of love. Let's just say she's fighting the good fight and she's fighting hard, and that is tough. She was the obvious choice as our first care package recipient, and with her in mind, we hit the shops.

Or, specifically, my favorite market, which has a wonderful organic section. We chose:

Foot cream
Fluffy socks (only thing not from the organic section. Socks at the supermarket, why not?)
Lavender soap
Lavender and bergamot sleep balm
Hot chocolate mix

...And I won't lie, we knew we nailed it. But a care package is nothing if it doesn't include some words, so we all--every one of us--sat down to write letters (me and Abby) or draw a picture (Johanna) or to casually mention that Jan did not have to feel obligated to share any of her loot with Uncle Doug* (Eric). Abby also threw in a copy of her latest D.A.R. essay. I made a little card for the top of the box, and then we shut 'er up and sent 'er out.

Now, I'm not telling you all of this so that you can sit back and think, Wow, that Trisha is awesome. I mean, we all know this already, I don't have to share the contents of a care package to prove it. (JK) No, I'm telling you this--and will recap all our packages this year--to maybe inspire you to do something similar. You don't have to send a package a month... or even a package. Just maybe think about your friends and family, and who could use a pick-me-up. In my 41 years on this planet, I've learned that letters are A Big Hit, and that only costs you a bit of time and a 46-cent stamp, should filling a box seem daunting and impossible. And maybe together we can push some of the darkness away.

It's a revolution, remember?
Figure 2: Explanation card. Because I like explaining.
P.S. Jan said she would share her foot cream with Doug... as he was rubbing her feet. Win!

No comments: