Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Oh, that sound? Just my heart breaking

It's probably bad to start off with a tangent, but one of my pet peeves is when people put up status updates that say things like, "My heart was just ripped in two" or "I cannot go on," but they don't disclose any further information so you don't know if they need a transplant, or they ran out of gas and are stranded on the side of the road, or there's zombies afoot (wait, I guess that's brains), or they got hacked by their kids, or it's April 1. Do us all a favor, people, and EXPLAIN YOUR STATUS UPDATES THOROUGHLY. It's not a lot to ask.

So remember how a couple weeks ago I wrote about that classified ad contest at work, and then about how we were winning said classified ad contest?

Today we found out we lost.
And to top it all off I'll probably get sued for using this without permission
And OH EM GEE people, I am so completely deflated. That lovely pizza lunch I have dreamed about for three weeks? Still just a dream.

What happened is that some bastards at other branches (P.S. Mom, I thesaurus.com-ed my bad word but the alternate words were even worse) waited until THE VERY LAST SECOND (sorry, I'm yelling a lot in this post, I can't help it, I'm completely out of my mind with disappointment) to place their ads. And because their offices are smaller than ours, they pulled ahead of us in the percentages. We posted the most ads, but that wasn't the contest. It was average ads placed per employee. And our office is the largest.

So we ended up in third.

BOO!

Ah, such a blow. Stacey was ticked because she had placed 20 ads (also at the last minute, but that's totally fine because she's on our team) and those ads didn't show up in the final tally. She was calling ad managers and everything to protest, but in the end it didn't make one lick of difference. We still were losers. Stacey and I were inconsolable and talked about getting strong coffee to see us through the rest of the afternoon, but it was too great a blow and our sorrow prevented us from leaving the office. Plus it was raining out and we didn't want to get soaked.

Then Jody the Ad Manger was like, I think everyone who placed ads should just go out for pizza together anyway, so the moral of this sentence is that maybe at least some despondent bonding will occur soon.

So that's the end of THAT. Totes depressed, going to watch some Olympics now, probs just curling because that's the kind of day it's been. Blerg.

No comments: