Friday, April 24, 2015

Light 2015: Technology fast

Meet my BFF.

If I may be so bold as to quote myself from my March Pointless Lists post...
After giving it some thought, I've decided to attempt a Light Technology month in April. You guys, I'm addicted to Hay Day and Tumblr, and when I'm bored, I'll search around the internets reading stupid articles just to pass the time. I can't even eat a meal without a device.
...Let me tell you how it's going so far:

Terrible.

I have utterly and completely failed at this. I did okay the first couple of days, but after that, I kind of just let it go. Apparently I'm not able to just sit with myself in the quiet and be still. I'm not sure what that says about me, exactly, but I'm fairly certain it's not anything good.

There are reasons for this, of course. Aren't there always? We've had some really terrible health news this month regarding a dear, dear family friend, and it's hard to sit with yourself when you're depressed. (Eye cancer, lung cancer, brain cancer. What the what.) But I think mostly it's just that I enjoy mindless entertainment: Hay Day, Instagram, Tumblr... and all of the links and silliness they provide within. When I'm tired, it's so easy to sit in my chair and just veg.

I'm not proud. I've gained quite a bit of weight (I'm up to 154, you guys--I realize when you're 6-feet tall, that's not fat, but jeez, it's more than I'm used to) because of all this sitting and vegging and stupidity.

And it's not even just my April Light resolution; I haven't been getting up for my morning yoga practice, or really planning meals with keeping food waste/hoarding to a minimum, or touched my reading retreat (seriously, what am I supposed to do with all those CDs?!). I've gotten lazy. I'll think to myself, I need to get my act together to honor those people who can't, and then I'm like, nope, what's on Facebook? And pass the cinnamon mints.

I'm not sure where this leaves us. F-minus.

No comments: