Saturday, December 17, 2011

You're too much like a wall

So I took a little writing break there, obviously, after my four days o' nonstop posting.  Well, it was necessary, as it was all stuff I didn't want to forget.  But still, I figured everyone just sort of needed a breather after all that.

You're welcome.

Today, being Saturday and all, meant that Eric and I woke up at regular damn time, even without an alarm.  Whatever.  As Jeff would say, sleeping in is for sucks.  And anyway, I had an office party to attend at 9 a.m. with people from my office because I work in an office now and that's what you do: Have office parties.  I guess.  This is my first office job AND my first office job during the holiday season, so I have no idea what is going on.  All I know is that I was invited to brunch--a "Lady Party," as Ben in Sports calls it--and that was pretty thrilling, if you want to know the truth, because I've never been invited to an office party or office brunch or anything else office related in a general sort of way.

I had places to go, is what I'm trying to say here.

So I'm ready to hop in the shower when I hear, "Mom, I think I have to puke."  Toss on a bathrobe and follow Johanna into the girls' bathroom.  Try to be calming and reassuring.  Get a blanket and wrap her up as we head back to the couch.

And Johanna, bless her little heart, was all like, I don't think I can go to Brianna's birthday party today.  And I'm like, nope.  And she's all, and I'm so good at gutter balls, too.

Um, because the party is at the bowling alley.  And Johanna IS really good at gutter balls.

She had to go back in the bathroom again, but Eric was all, you get ready, I'll take care of it.  So I got ready.  And I left, with promises of bringing back 7-Up and crackers.

And I felt sort of bad about that.  Of course I did.  I was actually having a nice acid-reflux attack on my way to the restaurant, the kind where you feel it from your neck to your toes.  TO YOUR TOES!  That's some hardcore acid right there.  I was tempted to turn around, but I kept right on driving.

So not to dwell on the acid, but it kept up all during breakfast.  I tried to ignore it.  I had water instead of coffee, and made a scene when I had to ask how the food is prepared (always embarrassing... so much for fitting in)--do you use butter or margarine?  And the waitress wrinkles her nose and is all like, if you're allergic to artificial colors and flavors, you probably don't want to eat any of it.

But then she came back and said the cook could make whatever I wanted dry.  Hey, I can do dry!  So I got scrambled eggs, hash browns and sourdough toast.

Enough of that.

Breakfast was quite entertaining--it's a fun, diverse group of women... writers, editors, advertisers, reception, print shop, office manager.  Everyone was talking at once, and there was a lot of laughter and awesomeness, and as I picked at my eggs I was thinking, wow, I am really lucky to be a part of this.

Have I mentioned I really love my job?

After everyone ate, we had a "Yankee Swap" ornament exchange.  I drew the number 3, and opened up a cute snowflake ornament.  Which got stolen.  So then I opened up a cross ornament that was inscribed with "Christmas 2011" on the front.  Totally awesome.  See?

I like simple.

And obviously, since it's now on my tree, no one stole it from me, although Deb in Sales (not to be confused with Deb in Reception) ALMOST did.  But then she stole someone else's instead.  Except it was a night light, not an ornament.  I guess the rules of the game were sort of lax.  Good to know.

I gave a simple red ornament frame with what appeared to be holly in the corners.  Chris the Office Manager got that one, and she was very pleased.  So yay me!  You just never know.

And then we exchanged recipes... and then everyone left.  My stomach had held on, so I was feeling pretty happy about that.  Happy enough to hit the grocery store afterwards.

Oh, except when I was getting out of the car, I hit a button on my key chain by mistake and the car alarm went off, and then I noticed this older guy getting out of his car, and I was like, SORRY! as I was fumbling around trying to figure out what button to push to turn it off.  And he was like, uh, what happened?  And I was all, um, yeah, hit the wrong button here!  I'm actually quite smart!  Don't judge me just by this one thing!  But he was afraid at that point, apparently, because he just walked away.  Kidding.  He was very nice.  And then another car alarm happened to go off, and he was all jolly as he announced I had started a trend.

So I made a new friend.

Now that I'm back home, Johanna has a bowl of crackers and some 7-Up set up on a chair next to her nest on the couch.  She is looking pretty pale.  She's thrown up a few times now (too much info?), and she's just laying down, which in and of itself tells me the kid doesn't feel well.  How often have YOU seen Johanna just lay down?  And not at bedtime?  (No, really, she doesn't even lay down at bedtime.)  She's such a trooper, though, watching various cartoons on Netflix and periodically turning her back to the TV.  I wonder if she'll end up taking a nap?  That will really freak me out.

The plan for this afternoon was: Go to Brianna's party, go to Mass, go to the annual Christmas party at some friends'.  The new plan for this afternoon is: None of that.

I'm fighting my natural hypochondria here, because the stomach flu is ripping through the office, and now Johanna is sick.  I'm drinking some decaf and thinking about rainbows and butterflies and unicorns and health.

P.S. Eric (mostly Eric) and Abby and Johanna put The Burrows together last night.  SUPER CUTE.  "I'd forgotten I'd wanted Ginny," Johanna said nonchalantly as she gave the mini-figure a hug.  Well, that's my job, I suppose--to grant the wishes you forgot you wished for in the first place.  Or something.

Side view--look, a pig!

A look at the back.

There's even a copy of the Quibbler, a Chudley Cannons poster, and Mrs. Weasley's clock.  Nice detail there, Lego.

So while the fam was doing that, I was putting together some stupid puzzle that Johanna had gotten in a gift exchange.  She'd wanted to put it together while Eric and Abby worked on more complicated aspects of The Burrows, and then of course she left me all alone.  It doesn't look complicated, but those 100 pieces really about did me in.

Johanna wants to take it to Grandma's.
Maybe we can LEAVE it there?

Um, so that's enough, I think.

Anyway, so it's still December and it's still Christmas music season, but honestly, I'm hitting my limit.  I just downloaded Chevelle's new album, Hats Off to the Bull.  It is FANTASTIC.  I've been listening to it nonstop.  Well, I have OCD, I think.  So instead of something Christmas-y, I give you "The Meddler."  Because I don't belong here either.  Plus it's just a cool song.

No comments: