Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Me, I'd let the panic ride and pin it on the wall

So I'm about three-fourths of the way through The Night Circus, which is the best book I've read in a long time, and mostly that's what I want to be doing right now.  Reading.  But it's been three days since my last post, and my public (hi Mom!) did not much care for that four-day post-free period after Johanna's birthday, so I dare not do that again.

Luckily, I've got a couple of stories.


Story #1:
At work, I got a bit of a mini-assignment.  An elderly reader submitted a couple of photographs, and the editor asked me to call him and get the scoop.  This guy writes letters to the editor all the time that truly make me cringe, but he comes into the office to drop them off and is just as nice as can be and I sort of forget that he's insane until I have to type out his letters again.

Anyway, so I call him up and tell him who I am and what I'm calling for, and he's all like, I don't get to talk to a lot of people, so when someone calls, I have a lot to say.  And wow, did he ever.  He answered my questions, but he did it in such a round-about way that he put even my pointless ramble skills to shame.

So we're so far off topic that I'm not sure where the heck we are, and he's telling me about this guy named Eric in the planning department who goes above and beyond the call of duty.  And I'm like, oh, well, that's my husband.

And honestly, I'm thinking he'll be all like, isn't that wonderful?  But instead, it was like he didn't register what I was saying, and just kept right on going with his story (the gist of which I never did fully understand).

So that wasn't really a bonding moment, is what I'm saying.

Then, after about a half hour of this, I thank him for his time and tell him how much I appreciate him talking to me.  He's like, hey, when will this run?  And I'm like, um, not sure, but.  And he's like, well, I made the editor mad the last time I saw him, by accusing the newspaper of treason.  And I'm like, huh, I really need to get the hell off the phone now because I'm remembering how nuts you are.

AND THEN.  He's all like, you've made my day so bright by calling me, even if the sun was shining it couldn't be brighter, and I can hear the smile in your voice, and thank you so much.

Um.  So.

Story #2:
Before work, the girls and I met some friends of ours--Joy and Savannah and Delaney--at the coffee shop for a play-date.  Not that much happened, except I forgot to order Abby's hot chocolate (well, I remembered the croissant, which should count for something).  And Joy gave us fresh eggs from their hens and a curry rice mix.  And I gave her our Christmas form letter and a picture.

Why, yes!  I did feel lame!

But anyway, it was fun to see them and catch up.  Savannah and Johanna are 4-months apart and get along very well.  Delaney is almost four and idolizes Abby.  This means Joy and I actually are able to talk.

I like talking to adults.  It's a nice change of pace.

Story #3:
My parents have been watching the girls this week (and next, hopefully) while school is out for winter vacation.  Tonight I went to pick them up after work and Mom was like, I was going to have you stay for dinner, but Dad didn't have a chance to go to the store.  I'm thinking maybe pizza.

And the girls were like, okay!  (Who am I kidding?  I was totally up for it myself.)

So Dad went and got a couple of pizzas.  And we had a party.  And I brought leftovers home to Eric, who had been playing racquetball and didn't even know he was missing out on anything.

P.S. During dinner, Mom had the main lights out, and just low light and Christmas bulbs burning.  And Ray Coniff playing.  Johanna found it all terribly romantic.

Chevelle again, "Revenge."  This might be my favorite song off their new album... but I don't know because they're all pretty great.  "Feels better to be lost, but haven't felt the choice."  I tell you what, I love these guys.  This is the best Christmas album ever!  (FYI, it's not a Christmas album.  Um, never mind.)

No comments: