Thursday, December 1, 2011

Let nothing you dismay

I've failed to mention this before now, but anyway, I was elected to serve on our elementary school's Local Committee this year.  On a ballot and everything.

Of course, I didn't actually know I was running.  Because I wasn't.  I'm not crazy.

I'm not exactly sure how this whole Local Committee thing works, but the lady who did run--and was elected, mind you--is also a school district employee, which apparently made her unable to serve.  I know this because the principal called late this summer to say, hey, funny story, you got a couple of write in votes for Local Committee, and as it turns out, we need to cash that in.  Wanna serve?

Yeah, no, not really.  Except out loud I was like, of course!  When do I start?  To which he said something like, whew, that's one less thing to worry about, and I'll let you know.

I got "a couple of votes," so I can only assume that I have two enemies somewhere.  Honestly, who writes in votes?  I never know who I'm voting for half the time in these types of elections, but I'm all, if this person wants to serve, then we should really just let them, and then I mark the box.  Usually there's only one name, so it makes it pretty easy to sail through the ballot.

(What?  I take voting very seriously.  I can't help it if only one person has filed to serve in any given position.)

So anyway, fast forward to now.  We met in late October as a sort of introduction to the whole ordeal... and then Johanna was sick for the November meeting, so I missed it... and then we had one this morning.  There are four of us on this committee, besides the principal.  Today I was the only one who showed up.

At first I was thinking maybe I'd get a pass.  The principal was like, hmm, I thought this meeting was next week, but let's see who shows up.  I took my Kindle out as I waited in the makeshift seating area in the hallway and played some new Every Word Crossings game I just got for free.  I wasn't sure what the heck I was doing, as it was the first time I'd played it, but you know, it was quite entertaining.

Tangent: I so love my Kindle.

But then the principal was all, it IS today, so let's meet!  And I was all... really?  Um, it's just me.  Except on the outside I was like, okay!

First we went over enrollment numbers, and let's just say that our school is huge and getting bigger, and the staff you'd think we'd need for that?  Ain't happening.  That's called "lack of funding."

Then we went on a little field trip to the fifth grade classrooms.  On the way, we peeked into all the little nooks and crannies where they've created learning spaces.  That old book closet?  Now has a table and chairs in it and is being used as a classroom.  (See my above funding comment.)

The fifth graders were working on various tech projects.  One classroom was using iPads and iPod Touches to... what did the kids call it?  Back flow?  Something like that.  The teacher was reading a book, and the kids were posting comments, predictions, and questions for their classmates to see and answer.  Then they took a mini-break to check out some pyramids where a scene was taking place in the story.

Uh, that was awesome.

The other classrooms we went into had laptops.  They're set up on some network that can also be accessed home* to play games.  Except they're not really playing.  They're working on math problems, tailored to their individual learning needs.  But I don't think they knew that, based on the smiles.

*Back in the principal's office, I learned that less than 1/3 of the kids have access to technology of any sort at home.  But he plans to open a computer lab in what has become a sort of community center in the school's old gym/cafeteria, so families can come at night.  He's just waiting for the computers to arrive.

There's another mark in the awesome category.

And P.S. The school doesn't have the money for every kid have their own laptop or iPod/iPad, of course, so there's a lot of sharing going on.  Still, some is better than none.

I also learned that less than 20% of the kindergartners coming into our school are "ready."  I'm like, what, maturity wise or learning wise?  And he was like, well, both, but what we track are things like, do they know their letters and numbers?  Have they ever held a book?

HAVE THEY EVER HELD A BOOK?  Holy crap, people.  That made me tear up a little, I kid you not.

So anyway, I'm still not really sure what Local Committee is all about.  Maybe it's just a way to let community members know what is going on at the school?  Good enough.  This really was a very interesting meeting, and I was glad it was still "held" even though it was just me.  I'm a big fan of this school anyway, but seeing firsthand what the staff is doing for the kids is just amazing.  It's like loaves and fishes, if you want to know the truth.  I'm not sure how they're feeding everyone, but somehow they are.

Let's see here.  It's December, so I'm thinking we need to start playing Christmas music on the ol' blog.  Last year I listened to Christmas music for like three days.  That might be an exaggeration; maybe it was only two.  So this year I feel like maybe I need to be a little more into it.

We'll start with MercyMe, "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen."  When I listen to this song, I can't help but think the gentlemen are merry because they're on a sugar and caffeine high.  This isn't a traditional rendering of the song, just FYI.  But it's so much more interesting than any other version I've heard.  (Not sure what's up with the light show in this video... but it was the best sound quality I could find, which is pathetic, because it's so much better on my iPod.)  "Tidings of comfort and joy."  That's just so darn nice.

No comments: