Saturday, December 31, 2011

December Pointless Lists

December 31!  I feel the need for some sort of year-end wrap up, because honestly, this was a fairly decent one for us.  And also: I like closure.

Oh, sure, there were some sucky parts, but mostly it was great: Johanna learned to read, Eric built the cutest garden shed EVER, I got glasses, and Abby grew 10 feet.

Cutest shed in the whole wide world.  Not that I'm biased.
Much.

That's all pretty awesome, right?  Anyway, who needs to dwell on the crappy parts?  We're incredibly lucky, so focusing on anything but the good would make me feel ungrateful.  And I am grateful.  For so much.

(And yes, I need to dedicate a post to Eric's shed, because the details on this thing are amazing.  I'm thinking about putting a chair in there and making it my play house.  Maybe a chair and a lock.)

What was your favorite part of the year, family?  Abby says Hawaii.  So does Johanna.  So does Eric.  And yes, Hawaii was great.  But my favorite part was getting my job.  That's been the biggest change for us, definitely... but it's also brought some great perks, especially for me.  Like: I don't have to look at the laundry pile as much.  Because I'm gone!  Plus: New friends.  And I get to use my brain.

And we learned some lessons.  Abby learned that sometimes you have to work hard and the rewards still do not come (that's called "math").  Johanna learned that actions have consequences (sometimes if you're swinging around the house, you're going to literally fall on your face). Eric's learned how to mount deer horns and make a shed door.  I've learned that sometimes change isn't so bad.

We did some traveling, most of it lovely, some of it not.  We went to Hawaii and Disneyland.  And my grandparents' 69th anniversary party.  And my Aunt Letty's funeral.  We camped once.  Eric went hunting.  I went to the grocery store a lot, but I don't think that counts.

So anyway, last year we were in Hawaii, and brought in the new year at a luau.  This year, we're at home, and will bring in the new year at, say, 9 p.m., because then it's bedtime.  (What?  We're old.  PLUS, kids don't care when you went to bed the night before.  Looking at you, Johanna!)  But first we'll have dinner at my parents' house because my Uncle Mark is visiting.  So that should be fun.  We usually have fish and chips on New Year's Eve, but we did that last night.

Last night's dinner.

On with the lists.  Why not, I guess.

Books Read:
Theodor SEUSS Geisel by Donald E. Pease.  This was the most interesting boring book I've ever read.  The interesting: Learning about Dr. Seuss' life.  I did not know his first wife committed suicide, or that she had helped him so much.  The boring: The writing style was just sort of blah, although I appreciate the irony of a Dr. Seuss biography being dull.  I mean, you probably have to really work at that, wouldn't you think?  Anyway, I don't feel too bad about it, because it was one of those Kindle Monthly Deals or something, so it cost me $1.99.  That's less than that bitter and slightly gross Decaf Americano I got earlier this month (I'm remembering why I never go to that particular coffee shop), and easier to get down.

O Little Town: A Novel by Don Reid.  Who, incidentally, is part of the Statler Brothers.  I'm glad I didn't know that when I downloaded it, because I am terribly biased against country music.  Even though I seem to have a memory of my Grammie G. singing "Elvira" that is rather pleasant.  Anyway.  This was a surprisingly wonderful book.  A Christmas story, but not all poinsettias and snowflakes.  There were several stories woven together, all varying shades of tragedy, and yet.  It ends hopefully.  And it was free!  Thanks, Amazon.

And!  I finished The Night Circus, and.  It was so, so good.  I want to read it again.  I want to give it to all my friends and name something Poppet (or Celia, or Marco, or Bailey, or Widget) and maybe write to Erin Morgenstern and tell her how awesome she is.  I love this book.

Actual fights my children had:
Over their "Spanish Names."  Abby decided she is going to be Pepe from now on in her Spanish class, so Johanna thought she needed a Spanish name too.  She wanted Paco, but Abby told her no, and for some reason, she accepted that, albeit with a lot of whining and shouting.  I offered Pablo as a possible name, but she said that was a boy's name.  (Um, am I the only one paying attention here?)

And over which Airbender cartoon to watch next.  They've seen them all, so now they're watching their favorites over and over and over (and over).  Abby is tired of the episode where they all go to the play, but Johanna loves it.  Ah, well.  They need something to argue about, I suppose.

Movies watched:
Johanna and I went to see The Muppets at the theater.  Surprisingly great!  Johanna is already requesting the DVD when it comes out.

Kermit and Miss Piggy, drawn and photographed by Jo.

We also watched Cars 2 on DVD last night as a family.  Oh, and A Knight's Tale on Netflix, which just depressed me because Heath Ledger was so cute and great.

Quote of the month:
"Remember, Mom, don't just take stuff out of your closet and think it goes together." --Johanna

...Happy New Year, people.

No comments: