Monday, September 17, 2012

And all the roads that lead you there are winding

Saturday we partied like it was 1942, and wow, I'm beat.  STILL.  I've been happy to temper activity with stillness.  And I took a pretty sweet two-hour nap yesterday, too.

My grandparents celebrated their 70th wedding anniversary with a huge party in the church annex. The weather was gorgeous and perfect--total opposite of last year's party in the freezing cold.  The annex has a nice outside area, with picnic tables and trees and even grass, so a lot of the people ended up out there because inside was crazy.

CRAZY.  Well, that's what happens when your grandparents know everyone in the whole world, I suppose.  Apparently 200 people signed the guest book, but I'm thinking not everyone signed.  You could hardly move for stepping on someone (and most of those someones were old, so it's not like they could take a little trampling).  That's the level of party we're talking about here.

My grandparents had chairs set up for them right by the door, which was genius, because that way they could greet everyone who came.  Mom's cousin's wife took pictures of everyone saying hello... and then eventually we were all herded into groups for more pictures: Neighbor kids, cousins, families, randoms, whatever.

The thing about a 70th, I guess, is that you have a sense of urgency.  Time keeps on ticking, and every day is a gift.  That's a little too serious, I know, and I'm sorry about that.  It's just that we all really wanted those pictures with my grandparents.

Speaking of pictures, my mother made a video of pictures taken throughout their life together--pictures of my grandparents in high school and the Navy years, pictures of Mom and The Aunts and my uncle when they were growing up, all sorts of family and friends and grandkids and great-grandkids.  She worked hard on that thing, and it was really cool.  I'm pretty sure people are going to be asking for copies.

We came, we visited, we ate.  My cousin Shell and I were worried about the cake cutting part--we had that honor at their 50th and wow, what a disaster--but happily Grammie had someone else do it.  Hooray!

It was fun, visiting.  Some of my relatives I see a lot, some I seem very rarely.  It's nice to just be able to say hello and reconnect, even for a minute.

Ooh, highlights: I got to meet my cousin Justin's little Rocco for the first time (what a heartbreaker, that kid, and he's only six months old), and hold Maggie Mae TWICE.  I'm pretty sure I'm her favorite.

Also, it was pretty great when my brothers got there.

Eric was totally social, which was hilarious*, and Abby mostly just hung out with us.  Johanna ran around with the second cousins, playing in the grass and dirt--she was filthy by the time we were headed for Mass, where my grandparents renewed their vows.  Of course we didn't think to pack a change of clothing.

My grandparents have renewed their vows a couple of times in my memory, so they're good and married.  It was sweet.  And slightly hilarious because Gramps can't hear very well and it took a bit for the priest to get the vows started.

P.S. I heard all day long how much I look like my Aunt Ann.  Why yes, I do!

*Just because Eric is a quiet boy.  He's a listener.  He's not social by nature, and, had the tables been reversed, I'm not sure I could have been quite as outgoing and friendly with his extended family as he was with  mine.

Oasis, Wonderwall.  Because maybe you're gonna be the one that saves me.  P.S. What IS a wonderwall?

No comments: