Thursday, September 27, 2012

When the hardest part is over, we'll be here

There's a fire burning just east of us and wow, is the valley smoky.  The thing started Tuesday night, and so of course it was on the news yesterday, but since it was clear at our house, I didn't think too much about it.  Until I went to work.  The smoke was so thick downtown it looked yellow, and you could see particles of ash falling now and again to boot.

Um, that's smoke right there over the hills.

Of course the smoke has spread to our house now.  Everywhere you look, all you see is smoke.  A haze has settled over our yard, and it smells like a camp fire.  Johanna was pretty sure it was fog this morning as we were driving to school.  I tried to explain it was smoke, but she was all, and fog, and honestly, there are only so many disagreements I'm willing to have in a day, so I was all word up.

It sucks, people.  There are air quality warnings and events have actually been canceled.  (Like the high school homecoming bonfire.  How's THAT for irony?)  I think I like raging, out of control fires better when they're just on the TV.  P.S. No structures are in danger.  But it is in this pretty awesome nature area.  Bummer.

More smoke (?).  Trust me, it's there and it's bad.

Abby's school has its open house/carnival tonight in the plaza area outside.  Nothing like a little smoke inhalation to make a Thursday complete.  She's pretty sure I don't need to be there at all, but hello, how else am I going to introduce myself to her teachers and embarrass her?  THINK IT THROUGH, KID.

She's a WEB leader, which is essentially an eighth grade mentor, so she stayed after school yesterday to help clean up and get ready for tonight's gala.  When I told her I'd pick her up after work, she was all, go home and THEN come get me, and I was like, uh, no.  And she was all, I don't know where I'll be, and then it occurred to me that my 13-year-old didn't want me showing up and calling attention to myself by standing quietly out of the way in a corner, so I was like, relax, I'll just stay in the car and you can find me when you're done.  She liked that plan.

Thirteen is awesome.

Hey though, there are some pretty great pictures of her and her friends on Facebook with uni-brows and mustaches and huge moles now.  Apparently they had a little too much fun "practicing" with the face paint last night.

Let me make sure I have this straight: My very presence is humiliating, but walking around with a uni-brow and mustache and various moles should be publicly celebrated.

My eyes itch.  I feel like I've had a good cry without the benefit of emotional release.  What's the percentage a rain dance would actually work?  Smoke is highly overrated, just FYI.

UPDATE 12:34 p.m.: Just got a phone call from Abby's school and the open house has been canceled tonight "due to poor air quality."  Well, can't argue with that.  It looks like we're in a fog bank.

Brandon Flowers, Crossfire.  It was either that or an Adele song, and not that I have anything against Adele, it's just more Abby's thing than mine.  Hey, what did this guy do to have all those ninjas come after him?  Good thing Charlize Theron is a boss.

No comments: