Friday, January 16, 2015

Light 2015: Grocery store edition part II

Source
WWI poster. Fascinating!

Well, people, here we are, five days after my bold Declaration of Independence decision to focus on working off the food stores cluttering my freezer and cupboards, and you know what? This week was mostly full of win.

I love mostly full of win!

So yadda yadda yadda, here's what we ate:

Oatmeal coconut chocolate chip cookies. When our store's bulk aisle was 20 percent off across the board a few months back, I went nuts. I don't cook a lot with either oatmeal or coconut, so why did I buy vast amounts of those items? Huh, I forget. On the plus side, I had all the right ingredients for this basic oatmeal cookie recipe, to which I added a cup of shredded dried coconut and a cup of chocolate chips. I got that idea from a fancy-pants organic market in town that sells such cookies for $2 each. I'm kind of a copying genius.

Roasted chicken. I bought an organic chicken months and months ago and just tossed it into the freezer instead of dealing with it in a timely manner. I finally got it defrosted, but Eric gets the credit for this one, since he popped it into the oven right before he headed out the door to watch the Ducks vs. Bucks game at his brother's. We ate on this thing for three days straight and still had leftovers for the freezer. Gah, more freezer clutter. I guess we're having chicken soup next week.

Stir-fry veggies and rice. Before my decision to go all anti-shopping, my favorite grocery had a 13 hour produce sale, and I bought all manner of lettuce, broccoli, celery, carrot, onion cucumber, apple, banana and (one) pineapple (which looked kind of sketch but ended up being delicious). You can't really put a cucumber in a stir fry, but everything else (well, vegetable-wise) was fair game. Except! I forgot to cut up the onion! Ah, well. It was still delicious. Especially sprinkled with a little Walker Rub.

Oh, and the rice? Another casualty of that aforementioned bulk aisle super sale.

Pan roasted pork chops with caramelized onions. We have half of a very happily, humanely raised hog in the freezer, and one of my favorite ways to deal with pork chops is to pan roast: Starting the chops in my cast iron skillet with a little olive oil to brown, then finishing off the whole ordeal in a 450º oven. I also caramelized an onion because I have a bag of those things now so what the heck?

Turkey pot pie. Duuuuudes, we still have Thanksgiving turkey in the freezer. Like, a lot of turkey. I happened to have all the ingredients for a turkey pot pie (which used up some turkey, a couple cups of leftover frozen chicken broth, and quite a few of the fresh veggies listed above). Unfortunately, my recipe is 19 years old, and, having been cut out of a newspaper, I can't find any comparable links. (Basically, you need a bottom crust patted into a pie plate; then you make a roux with 4 tablespoons of butter, four tablespoons of flour and 1 cup of chicken broth, add your cooked chicken or turkey, add some frozen veggies--in this case I used fresh sautéed--and pour over the bottom crust. Um, duh. Then you either add a top crust or some kind of biscuit topping, and bake in a 425º oven for like 20 minutes. This is all from memory, though, so buyer beware.)

Johanna thinks turkey pot pie is disgusting. Well, she hates cooked vegetables. But Abby and Eric and I are fans. A 3/4 win is better than nothing!

Also, afterthought: Why didn't I roast the chicken first and use the leftovers there for the pot pie? Perspective! Now you have it.

***

In retrospect, this looks fairly boring, but you know what? We all got fed, which is most of the battle right there. One downside of not stocking up: We ran out of cheese on Wednesday, there's no soy sauce anywhere to be found, and the girls are going through withdrawals because the Annie's Cheddar Bunnies are long gone.

But hey! Progress!

P.S. The rest of the month is going to be The Great Pantry and Freezer Clean-out Part II--because my food hoarding tendencies are not just a one-week to fix kind of ordeal--but I won't check in about it again until the end of the month, just FYI. And if anyone feels like sharing their own experiences with this in the comments, I would truly love that.

Source
And here I thought Victory Gardens
were just a WWII thing...

No comments: