Monday, January 5, 2015

Embracing the light

Art by my Johanna.

Last year, I made a New Year's Revolution, aka The Care Package Project. And that was fun. But this year, I want to do something different.

I was introduced to the idea of picking a word to guide myself through the year last December. There's a whole bunch of steps you can take to pick your word, but mostly I just focused on what I wanted to manifest in my life: Peace. Contentment. Love. And then printed those words out and pasted them to the door of my wardrobe, so I wouldn't forget.

And you know what? It was kind of awesome to have those words to focus on no matter what was going on in my life at the time. I might have been screaming "I CHOOSE LOVE (or peace, or contentment), %$&@!," but still, I was choosing it.

This year, I had a little better understanding of what this whole ordeal entailed, and so, in December, I chose a new word for 2015: Light.

Light! Light on commitments, light on technology (that's going to be tough), light on my body (choosing to fill it with the food that does not kill me), light on my mind (embracing downtime), light on possessions (yes, there are still things I could purge), light on criticism. Light when I pack, light when I feel heavy, light when I feel dark. Treading lightly upon this earth. Being a light.

Light also embraces my three words from last year: Light means peace. Light means contentment. Light means love.

The only thing I will not be embracing lightly will be coffee because hello, that's why all my people are still alive. ;)

As part of this lightening of the load, I'm committing to posting just two times a week in 2015 instead of three. My new days will be Mondays and Fridays. Sometimes I will post a Bonus Tuesday or a Zero Waste Wednesday. Sometimes I will not. Sometimes the words will be too much to contain for just two days a week. Sometimes there will be barely enough to cover the two. But I feel like, for light's sake, I need to give myself a little more leeway on the blogging front. It's been overwhelming for a while now, but I wanted to stick it out until the end of 2014 because... I'm silly that way.

So here's to 2015 and to light. See you on Friday, my friends.

No comments: