Monday, January 12, 2015

Light 2015: Grocery store edition

I am not 100 percent sure why, but I am a bit of a food hoarder. Minimalism in the rest of my life? Sure, no problem. But when it comes to food? Minimalism goes right out the window.

Every. Single. Time.

Source
I did a search for pantry pictures and this is what came up. I'm not strong
enough to resist something like this, even though I've never been a Woody
Woodpecker fan. That guy is just annoying.

I've learned so much since becoming a minimalist, and I think it's time I get my act together on the food clutter front.

Some of it I can justify: I like to can local produce in the summertime, and we have half a (FFA) hog in the freezer. My Christmas gifts mainly involved fruit jams and butters, and that takes space to store. But most of it I cannot: The soups and tomato sauces and the bags of candy I bought at Halloween because they were only $1.79 each.

I's not uncommon for me to buy what's on my list--or not--in multiples. It's worse if something is on sale because then I really stock up.

What am I even doing?

You guys, I have no idea. But it needs to stop. I'm not prepping for disaster.* I'm just trying to feed four people for a seven days at a time.

So this week, my goal is to make a dent in the stockpile--and to be very aware of my overbuying tendencies while at the store. I tried SO HARD during my weekly shopping gig to just stick to my list. And I mostly did. Well, Abby was with me, and she really wanted to try the organic fruit snacks, and I let her toss them in the cart.

Ahem.

I don't have a concrete plan in place, but I have some vague outlines in mind. I'll check in on Friday to let you know how it went and how creative I had to be. ;)

*Oh, I know. Our area extension office encourages everyone to have a 72-hour emergency kit in their basement for when The Big One strikes. While we don't have emergency kits, we could totally make it, although we might get sick of, say, home-canned peaches and pickles by the time it was over. On the bright side, there's also the Halloween candy.

No comments: