Saturday, November 5, 2011

I think I'll take another way instead

Saturday night and I'm sitting alone in front of the computer, blogging.  That's in no way remotely sad, right?  Eric and Abby are watching a movie and Johanna is in bed.  I could watch the movie too, I suppose.

Nah, never mind.  I'm still mad at Netflix.  (Stupid streaming selection...)  No matter.  Words are quite entertaining.  Words, words, words.  Just for kicks... I'm going to try to write this entirely in Haiku.

Friday, the weird work
week finally ended.  Thank God.
That afternoon the

phone lines were messed up
and every time the phone rang,
it was just a dial

tone on the other
end.  That got real old real fast.
I wasn't very

surprised, though, because
of how the week had gone.  Messed
up phone lines seemed like

a given.  Somehow
we made it through the day and
then!  Date night!  Hooray!

Except!  We couldn't
find anyone to watch our
Johanna.  So she

came with us.  Why not?
Jo and I split fish and chips
(mmm!) and Eric had

a chicken sandwich
thing, and we all ate way too
many french fries and

emptied the bread bin.
(Because "basket" didn't fit
in that line.)  We drew

on the table with
crayons (don't worry, there was
a paper down for

that very reason),
and Johanna thought we should
all draw what we were

thankful for.  She drew
vegetables, a toilet, and
Jesus.  I am not

kidding.  We had a
really great date night. Someday
we'll do that again.

Never mind.  It's just too slow to write an entire entry that way.  Lesson learned. Possibly.

Oh, and Abby was spending the night at a friend's house.  Otherwise, she'd have been there, too.

Which brings us to today.  Remember when I wrote this?
And!  Last night, I went to my first PTO meeting since Abby was in first grade.  And I learned that I, Trisha, can sponsor the annual walk-a-thon thing and get my business card on the t-shirt for a very reasonable fee.  Only I don't have a business card.  So I'm thinking: Johanna's Mom.  I can't stop giggling when I think about it.  Johanna's Mom in the midst of all the actual business cards, and people being all like, whaaaaat?  And me laughing in the corner.  It's almost too much awesome.  I'm TOTALLY going to do it.
(What do you mean, you don't remember?  I'm totally offended.)  Well, that fundraiser thing was this morning.  Instead of "Johanna's Mom," our ad (that's a term used very loosely by the PTO, apparently) said "Trisha and Johanna."  Johanna was THRILLED.  I bought us each a shirt to celebrate the awesome.  Sure, we're posers, but we're posers with our NAMES ON A SHIRT.

We walked, we came home, we sat by the fire and tried to warm up again.  That was a cold experience, I tell you what.  And then I ditched both Eric and Johanna and went to a PartyLite show at Stacey's house.  Deb the Receptionist was there; Deb from Sales was not.  When we had to go around and say how we knew Stacey, I was tempted to say we'd met in a mosh pit, but I was surrounded by co-workers and Stacey's family, and my manners got the best of me.  My mother would have been ever so proud.  Anyway, I got this:

"Change O Style."  It's got changeable "panes" so I can switch
them out with the seasons.  Fancy!

I've been wanting one of these electric "warmers" for awhile.  I'm going to put it on top of our wood stove and let it break through the bleak darkness that is winter, all while dispensing a pleasant ginger pumpkin scent into the air.  (At least until Eric builds a fire and forgets to move it, and the cord burns up.)

Here's something I did not get, but it made me laugh:

It's a USB Diffuser with Refill.  Um, really?

Not on my list, but who am I to judge?

Then I came home and roasted a chicken, made buttermilk mashed potatoes, pulled out the coleslaw from earlier in the week, and baked a pan of brownies.  I wonder if PartyLite has a roasted chicken-scented candle, and if they don't, why is that?  Eric had been cleaning the garage, but as soon as the smell of that chicken started floating through the house, he was suddenly ready to come inside.

This feels like an abrupt ending, and yet.  That's all I've got.

Screaming Trees, "Something About Today."  There's something about today I can't explain.  (And yesterday, and this whole weird week.)  Gone so long and feeling so let down, seems as though I'm living underground.  (Well, not really, but it sounds cool.)  All the miles couldn't make it change.  I might know tomorrow, not today.

P.S. Uncle Anesthesia was the very first CD I ever bought.  From Tower Records!  (The early '90s were so awesome.)  Gram M. had given me Christmas money, and she was very nonplussed when I told her I'd gotten this.  She was just happy I was happy.  (Thanks again, Grammie.)

No comments: