Monday, November 14, 2011

Told to dissolve, or choose to fade

I'm bored.

We were super social/busy this weekend, which was all varying degrees of awesome.  Mara and Alex and the boys came on Saturday for lunch--that's high on the awesome scale--and then Abby and I helped at the church's annual dinner/bazaar on Sunday--lower on the awesome scale, but still entertaining.

And what's that, you say?  My mother made more for the baked goods booth than ever before?  In her first year of being in charge?

That's high on the awesome scale, too.

Anyway, we cleaned house before Mara and Alex came, and then Eric didn't even go outside all weekend to work on any project at all, which means he turned his attention to the inside of the house/playing with the girls.  Both highly awesome, in case you're still keeping track.

So today I find that I don't have many chores to complete.  I did a load of laundry ("A load of laundry a day keeps the chaos away," says Flylady, and I believe her, though it doesn't always happen in this household), and made some pumpkin bread (the secret?  Adding chocolate chips to the batter.  Chocolate chips make everything a celebration.  I don't make the rules, that's just how God intended), and changed everyone's sheets (tip I found while surfing the internet: Put your sheet set inside one of the pillow cases.  I can't fold sheets worth beans, so the stuffed pillow case looks sort of whack, if you want to know the truth, but still, it's behind the closet doors, so who cares?  And it does keep the sheets better organized without a whole lot of extra effort), and unloaded and loaded the dishwasher.  The only thing left on my list is to prep dinner.

I'm thinking stir fry.  I got a lovely head of purple cabbage at the farm stand down the road, and some red peppers from the farmers' market, and I think I've got a carrot or two somewhere.  Is that enough for a stir fry?  I've got green beans and corn in the freezer.  Maybe they'll make it in there, too.  Oh, and chicken.  I roasted a chicken yesterday before we left for the church.  Sometimes I'm quite on top of it.

And served with rice, of course.

Although I just read a blurb about how rice is ruining the world, because it uses up like 1/3 of the world's fresh water supply.  Except it feeds half the world's population, so maybe that's not bad odds?  The point is, I have no idea, I'm just in the mood for stir fry, and it sucks to think my dinner is sending the earth down the wrong environmental path.  But if I already have the rice in my pantry, not using it would also be wasteful.

I believe that's called "justification."

The way things are going, I'll probably have time to mess around on StumbleUpon and find cheesy quotes like this one:


...That make me smile regardless of the cheese.  If I play my cards right, that will eat up enough time so cleaning the bathrooms will be rendered impossible.

Whew.  It's exhausting being bored.

Chevelle, "Letter from a Thief."  Because I just stole a whole lot of your time, yo.  (Maybe this song will make up for it.)  For a long time I thought Pete was saying, "Defend it all against Voldemort," but it turns out he's really saying, "Defend it off and fool them all."  (So close!)  I love you, Chevelle.

No comments: