Wednesday, November 30, 2011

November pointless lists

I'm writing this with one mother of a head cold, so if it doesn't make any sense, it's because my skull feels like it's been packed in cotton.  Good times!

Today!  Is Eric's 41st birthday!  The birthday boy gets to pick whatever he wants for dinner and dessert, and he picked tacos and oatmeal cake.  Again.  He's picked those things for probably his last ten birthdays.  Maybe longer than that, I don't know, my brain is cotton, remember?  My point is that even the girls knew what he was going to pick.  And one of them hasn't been around that long.

Eric is pretty low key and didn't want much for his birthday, but the girls and I tried to make it somewhat special, anyway.  Abby made a birthday card last night, and Johanna made two in school today, apparently.  I stopped by this little organic store on my way to work to buy a Hopworks IPA.  Eric loves and adores that beer, so I was feeling pretty awesome just for remembering.  But they didn't have a Hopworks IPA.  Oh, they had stout, and he'd have drank it, but it's not his favorite.  So I got a Ninkasi Total Domination IPA and then some seasonal... dark ale something?  I can't remember, but it had a cool bottle, so that's how I made THAT decision.  (Sleigh'r Dark Double Alt Ale.  Thanks, Internet!)

Then I went to my favorite grocery store for cough drops, and lo and behold, they not only had the Hopworks IPA, but they had it on sale.  AND they had all sorts of Ninkasi beers, also on sale.  What. The. Heck.  I could have gotten him four at the grocery store for what I ended up paying for three... and had a better selection.

I'm still a little annoyed.

When I got home, the girls and I each took a beer (Abby wanted to give the Hopworks, and Johanna took the seasonal Ninkasi, which left me with Total Domination.  Just as I'd hoped), and went out into the kitchen and sang Happy Birthday to You, except Abby just lip-synced the words, the dork.  Johanna sang loud and proud.  So did I, because we've been married for 16 years, so it's not like Eric hasn't figured out yet that I can't sing.

We had tacos, we ate cake, and then Eric opened up birthday cards and presents.  My mother made him molasses cookies, his mother made him no-bake cookies, and I made chocolate chip cookies earlier this week.  Plus we have cake.  We have more treats in this house than we know what to do with.  Which is awesome.

Well, anyway.  This month's pointless list is pretty pointless, and also pretty short.  I need some new categories.  One thing I would like to note is that I froze all month long.  I keep thinking about how four months ago it was July and I was toasty warm.  Time is weird.

Movies watched:
Prince of Persia.  Only not by me, just Eric and Abby.  Still, it's the first real movie anyone has watched on Netflix since the whole "no DVDs" fiasco/decision.  (The grudge is holding fast, Netflix.  Just FYI.)

The Sorcerer's Apprentice.  Again, just Eric and Abby.  Well, I came in at the end, I guess.  I love Nicolas Cage.  We need to see Raising Arizona again.

Big.  The whole family watched this one.  Abby thought it was a creeper show and kept going on and on about pedophiles.  But Johanna liked it--she was fascinated by this little snippet of the '80s.  She's all about the '80s, for some reason.  I try to tell her that they really weren't that great, but she doesn't believe me.

Books read:
Food, Inc.!  Finally!  I tell you what, I was on a mission to finally knock this one out.  I found the second half easier to get through--more hope than hopeless, as it were.  It really was a great book, and definitely worth reading.  I'm slightly embarrassed it took me so long to get through.  Sometimes being the choir is hard.

And that's it.  Well, I was afraid to start a new book with Thanksgiving right around the corner.  Been there, done that, and it didn't make my life any easier.  But I have high hopes for December.

Quote of the month:


Picture of the month:

Too. Much. Cuteness.

No comments: