Monday, November 21, 2011

Why aren't there any songs about food fights?

I was THIS CLOSE to writing the aforementioned post on Why Wal-Mart Hates the Guests Its Invited Over for Thanksgiving, but then.  As I was browsing through all sorts of crazy Wal-Mart junk trying to find a digital copy of that Thanksgiving flyer, I came across a video blog by a woman who went into Wal-Mart on purpose to see if she could buy everything she needed for Thanksgiving dinner for less than $40.  Because she is a "Wal-Mart Mom."  I did not know that even existed, but it does.

So there she is, all excited about her Stovetop, and her fake gravy, and her Green Bean Casserole with the canned beans and the mushroom soup and the fried onions or whatever the hell those things in the can were, and her turkey of questionable origin, and I'm like, I can't do it.  I cannot write that post, because this lady is too sincere.  I'd just feel like a jerk.

It was totally fascinating watching her choose all this packaged stuff.  I can't shop that way, what with my food allergies and everything, but sometimes I wonder if I'd take the easy way out if I could.

It's hard to actually answer that question, though, because I can't take the easy way out, and anyway, I like to cook.  Plus I care about where my food comes from, how it was raised, and what is in it.  I care about excess packaging and the effect of plastic on the environment.  I like knowing my farmers and patronizing their farm stands.

Not that we don't get the occasional take-and-bake pizza.  And not that we don't have packaging in the cupboards.  And not that our local farm stands are open year-round.  I just do what I can, and hope it makes a difference somehow.

But I'm left wondering this: When did mealtime become rocket science?  And why do I feel like an elitist poser just because I'm making our meal from scratch?  Honestly, I'd like to know.  Because I'm scratching my head over here.

Are there any songs about food fights?  Because that's what I'd choose for today's song, only I can't think of one.  Ah, well.

No comments: