Sunday, January 1, 2012

Nothing changes on New Year's Day

Seriously, who can resist posting THIS?  I'm just not strong enough to fight the urge, people.  Plus, U2 is perfection.  They just are.  It's a fact, like gravity and air.

Except for that Zooropa thing they did.  What the hell was that about?


Well, anyway, now that I have that out of my system, we can move on.  I've been racking my brains all day for a decent New Year's Resolution.  My normal resolution is not to make any, and honestly, that's worked pretty well in the past.  But now that I'm knocking on the door of 40, I feel like maybe I need to accomplish something.  You know?  Like crackers.

That's what Eric suggested as my New Year's Resolution: Learn to make crackers.  

Perhaps this requires a bit of an explanation:
  1. In 2009, I mastered cooking beans from scratch, and our lives were the better for it.  
  2. In 2010, I learned how to make hummus and naan (and tortillas.  Except naan makes a great tortilla even though it's technically flat bread, so mostly I just do that.  Naan is an all-purpose sort of ordeal), and our lives were brightened like you wouldn't believe.  
  3. Side note: How can something as disgusting as a chickpea be so delicious as hummus?  I will NEVER understand this paradox.
  4. Last year, according to my kitchen journal, I didn't learn how to do anything.  In fact, I barely touched my kitchen journal, which is pathetic.
  5. So perhaps this all explains why I feel the urge to learn something new this year.
  6. Plus also, cooking is fun.  Getting up at 5 a.m. to run every morning?  Not so much.  There's no way I'm doing that.
I probably should learn how to make a nice looking pie (I can make ugly pie.  Not very satisfying), but I don't know if I really want to do that.  Crackers might be okay.  I've collected enough recipes to give it a decent whirl.

So crackers.  Why not?

U2, New Year's Day.  Obviously, I guess.  Because all is quiet on New Year's Day.  Truly, it's been lovely.

No comments: