Sunday, March 25, 2012

I woke up in a dream today

So I've essentially tossed everyone outside this morning, except for Eric, who went out on his own accord. This means I can listen to my iPod instead of the musical sounds of my children as they demand stuff from me that I am not prepared to give.  Come on, kids!  Make your own toast!

Anyway, while Eric is out burning yet another pile o' limbs from January's ice storm, and the girls are exploring, I'm surfing the Internet AND making banana chocolate chip muffins at the same time, which can be sort of disastrous, blogging and baking, but anyway, that's just what I do.  Press the limits!  On Friday when I was writing and attempting to cook down those cherry tomatoes into sauce, what really happened is that ALL the water evaporated and we were left with a tomato paste-like substance that looked fairly grim, but didn't taste too bad.  Abby must have read my blog because she was all like, popcorn and apples is fine, but I was all, nope!  It's Lent, and if this isn't suffering, then I don't know what is.

P.S. I'm making banana muffins because I bought some very overripe bananas from a farm stand ON PURPOSE, because I was like, well, these things are truly disgusting, but there must be lots of mushy banana recipes on the Internet, right?  So this morning I made a batch o' muffins, and then searched around for something more creative.

Some of it made me want to vomit.  Banana soup with garlic?  Bloody hell, people!  Do you even like who you're cooking for?  Some looked awesome, like banana pancakes, except I'm out of butter (whoopsies), so there goes that.  For kicks I clicked on a Paula Deane banana pudding recipe, just because sometimes I like to research how to give myself diabetes.

The moral of this story is that it turns out banana muffins are the best option out there when you lack butter and the general desire to make something weird.  (I'm still not over that banana soup.)  Johanna took a muffin to Eric when she went outside, and the good news is she only dropped it once.  In the grass, which is way better than in the dirt.

Um, let's see.  Oh, right, The Hunger Games!  I was able to snag tickets before work on Friday, just in case you were worried about that.  The kid behind the counter was quite blase about the whole thing, like they had so many tickets for the 6:30 showing that my rush was just embarrassing.  But Abby thought I was awesome, and there was a lot of jumping around and screaming.

Internally, probably.

Anyway, so we get to the theater and there's a long line forming outside.  And I'm all, who's the dork now, theater ticket kid?  And Abby was like, quit talking to yourself!  And I was like, oh, right, sorry.

It turns out that there were BUS LOADS of kids there.  The sixth grade teachers at Abby's school had purchased tickets months ago, apparently, and even staged a whole movie/Hunger Games trivia contest event.  So we ran into her old Literacy teacher, who was on crutches because he's a kayaker and accident prone, and I was like, we have tickets so I'm hoping to just cut in.  And he was like, me too, but I can't get through.  Well, he's very short, so probably no one even saw him.  So I was like, follow me!  Because I can break up a crowd like nobody's business.  I'm not sure why.  I guess being 6' tall has its advantages.

So we broke through the crowd, and Abby and I were all cool, handing our tickets over and getting pointed in the direction of where the film would be showing while the masses waited in line.  I figured based on the line and the time, we'd have our pick of seats.

Wrong.  Our showing was filled up.  We ended up sitting on the end of one row near the top, but that was cool because they were actually good seats.  And then for some reason people kept getting up.  The lady sitting next to us gets up three minutes before show time (WHY???) and comes back after the movie has started (she missed the Breaking Dawn II preview where Bella was stalking a deer.  THAT made me laugh out loud).  And she wasn't the only one standing up and/or knocking things over and/or opening packaging at the least opportune moments.

Sort of reminded me why I usually don't go to theaters, actually.

But!  The movie was great.  The book was better, sure, but of course that was going to be the case. They stayed true to the book, even if they had to cut some stuff out and condense some other stuff.  That made me happy.  I hate when things that don't happen in the book happen in the movie.  Abby's already announced she knows what she wants for Christmas.

Well, it's lunchtime now, and the girls are in demanding food.  Good lord, it never ends.  Oh, and it's spring break this week.  Wow and wow.  Happily, my parents are onboard to watch the girls and maybe even take them places. Thank God for grandparents!  Oh, and at work I'm learning how to measure the paper.  My head still hurts.  I tell you what, there's a lot of math involved to get ONE paper.  Because that's what you're going for, I kid you not: The number one.

So off I go to make sandwiches.  And turn on Toy Story 3, I guess.  Linkin Park has shuffled up, and I'm loath to turn them off, but.  I guess I'll just make them my daily pick.

P.P.S. Lunch has come and gone, and I've moved on from muffins to cookies.  My friend Tamara called out of the blue and we had a nice chat.  As soon as I'm done with my cookie project, I'm headed out for a walk.  It's gorgeous out there.  And if there's one thing I've learned, it's that you should go outside while you can, because tomorrow it may be snowing.

Linkin Park, With You.  This is as close to a love song as LP can get.  Which might be sort of heartbreaking, now that I think about it.  Oh, Linkin Park!  You're my favorite.

No comments: