Tuesday, March 27, 2012

And now for something completely different

Guest post by Abby, written March 26.  Angst is fun!  Enjoy!

They See Me Rollin...

Today, I went to my little sister's coach pitch practice, and let me say, it was a bad idea on my part.

It all started when my Dad asked me to tag along. "I don't want to have to drive you all the way home, and then back to the school," he said. "It's right along the way, c'mon. I even brought a basketball so that you can shoot around!" These were the magic words for me. I'm on my school's basketball team, and I've been meaning to practice on a good court. I have my own hoop, but it's hard to dribble because the driveway is covered in gravel, and so I agreed.

When I got there, the play shed was empty, good luck. I shot around for a little while, making at least 90% of my lay-ins (I'm a post), but then a high school varsity player showed up and started making me feel stupid with his fancy three-pointers and his awesome Nike shoes.

And I was like, "I'll show him who's boss."

So little old me began shooting harder, more fancy shots, and I was getting pretty good too, when suddenly, like it was a flash mob, all these other varsity guys show up. I guess the one guy who was there was getting tired of me showing him up (ha!) and so he invited them over. And they be bro huggin', and they be makin' ALL of their threes. They be playin' three on three half court and they ALL had awesome Nike shoes, while I stood there, a lone chick, standing in my socks and holding a rugged old basketball underneath a netless hoop.

And I was like, "Okay, this is getting awkward."

So I left for the playground, lugging my Puerto Rico gym bag behind me, which was a bad idea. Of course, since it was like 5:00 and there was practice going on, there were a lot of little kids running around, playing tag and jumping around on the equipment. As soon as I set foot on the playground, at least half of the kids in my vicinity ran away, peeking out from behind the little metal poles like I'm going to pull a gun out of my bag and kill them. Or offer them some drugs. Whatever.

I left and decided to go swinging, feeling awkward because not only was I the oldest, tallest kid on the playground (aside from the varsity guys), I was the only white kid (no racism intended).

And I was like, "This blows."

Lo and behold, my stomach started hurting, and so I opened my gym bag and everybody froze like I was going to shoot them. Instead, I pulled out a 500 pill bottle of ibuprofen and a bottle of water (And no, I'm not a druggie. I just have bad stomach cramps, and 500 was what my mom bought me). Acting all nonchalont, I popped the pill in my mouth and took a swig of my water.

Casually, I looked up. And every. Freaking. Mom. Was staring at me like I was a druggie.

This, was actually a pretty good assumption on their part. I have bad allergies this time of year, and so my eyes are all red and puffy, and today wasn't my best hair day, and I haven't been feeling good so I just threw on a pair of sweats and a sweatshirt, and I was carrying around a little Puerto Rico gym bag, which looked like it could be carrying some drugs. And I did just pull out a huge bottle of pills and pop one.Yeah, I probably looked like a stoner today.

Sensing that I was no longer welcome on the playground, I went back to the car and sat there. For about half an hour.

I had a great time, actually. I'm glad I went.

Haha.

-A

No comments: