Wednesday, March 14, 2012

I don't think they know that I know how to swim

Updated 3/15
I've had a rather raging cold, as it were, for about the past week.  Saturday was no fun.  Well, yes it was, because I took two naps.  But the sore throat / headache / earache / stuffy nose sucked.  On the upside, everyone left me alone.  It was practically a vacation.  But now that I'm feeling better, the game of homemade cleaning month goes on.  Well, you have to do something during the day.

Homemade Liquid Dish Soap: Once upon a time, like last month, I just dumped some castile soap into my sink when I needed to hand wash the fussy amongst my kitchen ensemble.  That works fine, but.  So I was intrigued when I ran across this recipe for homemade liquid dish soap from another blog:

1/2 cup castile soap
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 tablespoon washing soda
1/8 teaspoon tea tree oil
1 1/2 cups hot water

So you combine the first four ingredients, then slowly whisk in the water to melt it all up.  It's actually sort of a cool process.  Once it's at room temperature, you put it into a bottle.  And then try to remember to give it a shake before you use it.

Update 3/15: I'm taking back everything I previously said about this soap because you know what?  I messed up.  Well, I don't always pay attention.  See, when I would use it, I would give it a shake and then pour it into the sink.  But today as I was cleaning the kitchen I noticed that there was a bit a foam (read: A LOT OF FOAM) floating on top of some liquid there in my bottle.  So I gave it a vigorous shake (and actually added a bit more water) and lo and behold, it's thick, it's lovely, it's way more sudsy (although, yes, fine, the suds do vanish), it works like a champ.  So all that stuff I said about maybe trying to find another recipe for homemade liquid dish soap?  I take that all back.  I'm good.

Dishwasher Update: Bloody hell, people!  I've actually been getting clean dishes out of my dishwasher using my homemade detergent!  Actually, getting clean dishes out of my dishwasher with any detergent would be miraculous since the thing has been giving me fits and fits and more fits.  The thing about this particular recipe is that I screwed it all up, so I'm actually sort of looking forward to using up what's in my jar so I can try something else.  Because it's experiment month, that's why.  Plus, aren't you curious?  I feel like I'm exploring the last frontier or something.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's not just the detergent that's the miracle here.  I've also been rinsing off my dishes with the care I'd give a newborn before loading them up, spraying the whole ordeal freely with white vinegar, and then adding a few drops of liquid soap along with the dishwasher detergent.  For the record, I've tried both Dawn and the above liquid dish soap, and both have worked.  Okay, fine, the Dawn might work a little better--things are shinier, you see--but the bowls and glasses behave with both, so there you go.

P.S. I LOVE the bath, sink and tile cleaner I posted on Mar. 7.  That is some good cleaner right there.  My kitchen sink has been ever so happy, and I even let my bathroom sink share in the joy even though I STILL have purchased cleaners I'm trying to get rid of.  Everything about it is amazing.  I have no desire to go look for another recipe either, cleaning month or not.  So scratch that one off the list!

Welcome to the Numb, Flood.  Because I can, that's why.  Hey, why isn't this on YouTube?  You can actually get the song free from Amazon.  Click here for the link.  Man, its unavailability makes me sad.  Although maybe somewhere in my little Alternative heart I'm actually happy about that.  What?  It's confusing being me.

No comments: