Saturday, March 31, 2012

March Pointless Lists

Good-bye, March!  Can't say I'm going to miss you at all.  Because I've been cold.  Where is spring?  Between the idea and the reality falls the shadow:

Sun and snow!  And yet, still cold and crappy.

Skilly is unimpressed.

But it wasn't all just complaining obsessively about the snow this month.  Or making all those cleaners.  Not that anything is coming to mind.  Just that I can't believe that's it.

Although maybe it is?

Johanna helped me clean house this morning while Eric and Abby went to a little league work party at the baseball field.  They came back rather early, as it were, since it's raining hard and everything was soaked.  No such luck inside.  But!  Johanna dusted the living room, cleaned off the table, swept and spot cleaned the kitchen floor, cleaned her bathroom and washed windows in the living room and her room.  Oh, and made Abby's and my beds.  And she STILL had time to decorate for Easter.  There's toothpaste on the faucet in the bathroom, and some streaks on the windows, but do you know what?  I don't care because I didn't have to do it.  Sometimes unlimited energy is a boon for everyone involved.

All right, enough of that.  Pointless list time!

Books read:
The Three Martini Playdate: A Practical Guide to Happy Parenting by Christie Mellor.  Hilarious.  The premise is that parents were here first, so why are kids taking over?  Teach them to make you martinis and canapes, and everyone will be better for it.  My friend Mara gave this to me with the instructions to "pass it on to someone who gets it," so if that person is you, let me know.

...And then I reread the Hunger Games series and then just my favorite parts from all three books.  Well, I'm not ready to let it go, obviously.

...But I did start American Gods by Neil Gaiman.  I follow his Twitter feed and Amazon had the Kindle version on sale for like two bucks awhile back, and how do you say no to that?  So far so good.

Movies watched:
The Hunger Games (!).  Opening day, baby, because that's how Abby and I roll.  She wants to see it again.  I wouldn't mind seeing it again either.

The Spy Next Door.  We've technically seen this one several times, but anyway.  We were flipping around on Netflix one Saturday night, trying to find a family movie to watch, and this is what the girls decided on.  Because our other choices weren't really choices.  Wait, why do we still have Netflix again?

Things my children actually fought about:
Whether or not the other has tap dancing skillz.  Technically, neither of them do.  Except they don't know that, apparently.  And they do not appreciate an honest evaluation of said skillz by a third party, just FYI.

Things I actually said:
"What can you do right now that doesn't involve brushing the cat's teeth?"

Things I learned:
I'm tired of interviewing the fam when they don't want to even think about what they've learned over the course of a month, so fine, just me.  I learned how to measure the paper (which is essentially figuring out what the percentage of ads are verses the percentage of news.  It's not hard, but wow, it's a long involved process that makes my brain hurt).  I learned that artists are usually at home when you call, unless they're checking into a motel, but they'll still talk to you.  I learned that iTunes thinks it would be a good idea for me to download some music by the New Kids on the Block / Backstreet Boys hybrid band.  I learned that I would rather download music by Fuel instead.  (Okay, fine, I already knew that.)  I learned that my uncle has cancer again.  I learned that the hits just keep on coming.  (Fine, I already knew that too.)

No comments: