Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Been locked out

Today I learned that if you lock your keys in your car while visiting the Big City, it will cost you 65 smacks to have someone break into your car for you, even though it takes less than a minute to do the deed, and even though your keys are sitting right there on the driver's seat, mocking you.

I had breakfast with my friend Suzie today.  I met her in college.  We were counselors at Junior High Camp together.  Fun fact: We did a Suzie's World skit once that brought the house down.  No one threw rocks, anyway.

Then I lost track of her.  Then I found her again before Abby was born.  Then I re-lost her after Abby was born.  And then I re-found her on Facebook a few years ago, so there you go.  Anyway, she lives in Georgia now, but has family in Oregon, so she visits periodically.

We decided to meet at a restaurant in the middle, so to speak, and I left my house before 8 a.m. in order to make it to our slated 9 a.m. breakfast date.  I did, too, except I really had to pee so I was a little distracted as I was getting out of my car.  The next thing I know, I'm looking at my keys through the window.

I was hoping that the restaurant would be able to help a girl out.  And they did, if you count calling a locksmith "help."  I thought maybe there would be someone on staff with carjacking abilities is all.

Suzie meets me in the lobby, and I'm all like, how are you?  Locked my keys in the car.  Gotta leave you here for a minute while I go meet the guy in the parking lot.  Nice to see you, by the way.  Your baby is adorable.

So the locksmith basically puts this plastic square between the seal on my passenger door, pumps it up, and unlocks the door with a coat hanger.  I thought the tools would be a little more high tech for $65, but whatever, I'm totally not bitter.  It was sort of alarming that he was able to break in so quickly, but he was all, I'm a professional, it's supposed to be easy, and I was all, hey, I'm sort of curious about what's in that car over there, wanna go check with me?

Just kidding.  What I actually said was, do you take Visa?

He did.

With THAT bit of business out of the way, I was able to go back into the restaurant, meet Charlie properly (he's one adorable and perfect six month old, and I'm not just saying that because he totally approved of the bracelet I was wearing), order up some blueberry pancakes and coffee, and proceed to have a generally lovely morning with my friend.

I tell you this, though: Yesterday I got shat on by a bird.  Today I locked my keys in the car.  I'm a little afraid about what tomorrow will bring.

Side note: It turns out the pancake and coffee diet is not enough to get you through an entire day.  Having a doughnut hole for a snack?  Not very wise either.  On the bright side, carbs are awesome.  On the downside, the crash is not.  On the upside, I'm being optimistic today.

Also: There might be a snake in the house.

Crowded House, Locked Out.  Sometimes it's too easy.  P.S. I was going to give up the whole "Post Theme Song" deal now that I'm 40, but it turns out that I'm not that strong.  P.P.S. Run, Neil, run!

No comments: