Friday, August 31, 2012

August Pointless Lists

So Skilly is on his second bird of the evening.  I thought maybe the last one was still alive and went to save it, but Skilly scratched me in the throat when I went to get him, plus the bird was either too stupid not to fly away when it had the chance or really was dead after all, so you know what?  Enjoy your bird, Skilly.  It was probably the one that pooped on my foot anyway.

Today I went back to The Big City to have breakfast with my college friend Nicole, whom I haven't seen in about 13 years.  We went to the same place I went earlier this month, when I locked my keys in the car and learned that breaking in requires basically caveman-level tools.  This time I did not lock my keys in the car, probably because I kept chanting "keys, keys, keys" as I drove around the parking lot, so subsequently breakfast cost $65 less than last time.

I had such a good time visiting with Nicole.  She's just like I remember her, and it was fun to chat and catch up.  The time went way too fast, and I was sort of thinking maybe I'd be late for work, but I made it with two minutes to spare.

Safe!

Pointless list time!

Books read:
This should really say "Books I tried to read."  I started in on The Host again, just because it got hot and that book is set in the Arizona desert and I was just sort of in the mood.  Except I'm at the part right before Jamie gets hurt (spoiler alert?) and then kind of stopped.  Oops.  And that was my month.  I find that most of what I'm reading these days is in the form of newspapers or blogs.  When the girls go back to school I have high hopes of reading more frequently.

Movies watched:
[Crickets chirping] I sort of wonder why I even have this category.  Actually, though, I've promised to take Johanna to The Odd Life of Timothy Green tomorrow.  She's been wanting to see it since the previews first came out.

Canning and freezing exploits:
I'm drying Sungold tomatoes--they're the crack of the cherry tomato world--because they make wicked awesome sundried tomatoes.  Except I call them Tanning Bed Tomatoes. Still enjoyable.

I've canned peaches and peach butter and have high hopes of doing more of both.

I've frozen about a dozen chopped Walla Walla Onions (well, why not?), although I'm wondering about their authenticity because I was crying like a baby the whole time.  Um, that's not supposed to happen with sweets, is it?  I've also frozen corn kernels and green beans... oh, and green peppers too, I think.  And the last of our blackberries.

Garden update:
The zucchini and beans continue to suck.  Eric's been harvesting carrots for his lunch, and it's ever so much fun to have the girls go out there and pick a few while I'm tossing a very local salad.  The tomatoes are off the hook.  The cherry tomatoes, anyway, but the Roma and paste tomatoes are THIS CLOSE to being ready.

That will be a good day.

Things I learned:
Locking your keys in your car is bad.  Having breakfast with your friends is good.  I can see why people complain when the weather is over 100-degrees for days straight.  Killing your cat is hard.  Decluttering the kitchen is easy.  Blue moons rock.  (Except it looks red to me...)

P.S. Day three on the Vanilla Project, and the vodka is taking on a brownish tint.  Of course, there's all this vanilla paste floating around, which makes me wonder if I'm going to have to strain it or something before I can use it.  Well, we'll cross that bridge later.

No comments: