Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Project 333 update: Spring edition

Something interesting has happened with my spring Project 333 wardrobe, you guys. I'm down to 29 (countable) items.

I did not expect that.

Those aren't actually empty hangers... you just can't see my tank tops. :)

True, I didn't include six pairs of shoes or yoga pants or three scarves, and I have two "special occasion" dresses that I keep in the back of my closet for "just in cases." Courtney Carver, Project 333 founder (and one of my favorite bloggers), says you don't have to include workout or lounge clothes, everyday jewelry and undies, and stresses that this is not a project in suffering. Thus my no shoes, no scarves, no dresses rule. :) I mean, she even includes her purse, but I'm not that strong and I'm not that brave.

But even if I did include that stuff, here's what my closet looks like:

Black: Cardigan, t-shirt, long-sleeve t-shirt, tank top, short-sleeve blouse, pants, shoes (boots, ankle boots, Dansko slip-ons, sandals, closed toed sandals), special occasion black/white dress, everyday purse (13)
Grey: Pants and long-sleeve t-shirt/pullover combo thing (2)
Beige: Pants, skirt, capris, t-shirt, lace tank, plain tank, jacket (7)
Teal: Zip-up cardigan, blouse, scarf (3)
Blue (various shades from navy to light): Pullover sweater, tank, multi-blue tank, denim jacket, long-sleeve t-shirt, flower multi pretty, short-sleeve blouse, t-shirt, denim skirt, skirt, stripped scarf, yoga pants, Converse All-Stars just for taking walks, two pairs of jeans in various stages of wear, special occasion blue/black dress (15)
Purple: Skirt (1)
Multi orange: Tank, scarf (2)
Jewelry: Wedding ring, bracelet, necklace with small pendant (3)

Forty-six items. I never, ever thought I could get my entire wardrobe down to 46. I actually could probably take it down even more--the lace tank has sat untouched because it's too big and I'm not in the mood to show off the twins every time I bend over. Hmm. Methinks I just found another rummage sale item.

Okay, make that 45 items. That sucker is gone.

And the craziest part of this is that I'm so happy with my wardrobe. It's perfect. True story, once upon a time, I had nothing blue in my closet, even though navy is my all-time favorite and I'm a big fan of all shades in that color in a general kind of way. Maybe that's why I love my closet so much--it actually reflects my preferences instead of what I think I should be wearing.

What a novel thought.

No one really notices that I've got the same items on rotation, although I've come to the conclusion that even if they did, who cares? It's my closet.

So I guess the moral of this story is my spring capsule wardrobe is working out just fine and I really don't think I'll change anything when we hit June 30 and I'm allowed to select a summer wardrobe. We'll see how I feel in a couple of weeks, I suppose. I don't know if I even have anything left to cycle in for warmer weather, though, now that I think about it...

P.S. This project has brought me the same kind of contentment and peace that minimalism has (well, duh, it's a minimalism project)... and it seems like the more I purge, the better my wardrobe gets. It's all favorites at this point.

Here's the link to the start of my spring rotation in case you're curious... and an update a few days later.

No comments: