Monday, June 29, 2015

June Pointless Lists


I haven't really been paying attention lately, you guys, so the end of June has taken me quite by surprise...

Books read
This month I decided to tackle Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. I also figured I'd be on Deathly Hallows by now, but it was not meant to be. I'm still not finished with Half-Blood Prince. Whatever. Knowing what I know, I see all sorts of clues and stuff, and that's kind of fun but also kind of depressing because: Dumbledore! And that's just the beginning.

Eric update
The play structure is gone and the new basketball court is done, and there's been many a game of HORSE going on in the Walker household since then. Eric is pretty pleased that his project has been so well received. And that weeds can't grow through concrete.

He also played golf on Saturday for the first time probably since Abby was a baby. He was quite pleased with himself and his performance, although the attributes that to "beginner's luck." His poor hands are blistered, though. I guess that's what you get for taking such a long hiatus.

Abby update
ARW has started a summer job at the lavender farm literally a hundred steps from our driveway. (Actually, now I'm curious. I'm going to count next time I take a walk.) It's a great situation because she won't get her license until the end of July, and she was worried about how she was going to be able to get to and from a job in the meantime. Basically her tasks include welcoming visitors to the farm and helping them with the U-Pick portion of the experience, watering, deadheading and weeding. In these days of upper 90ºs to low 100ºs, it's a bit of a strain, but hey, employees get free water! (Um...)

And she went to a basketball camp at Gonzaga University the week after school was out, and came home utterly exhausted. I think she slept for the next week. Living on campus was a good experience for her -- like how there were three showers for an entire floor. Ah, college! That's just a good time right there.

Johanna update
School is out and Johanna is pretty happy about that. She claims she wants to "sleep in," but she's never been one for that nonsense, so mostly it just means she's up at her regular time but now she gets to watch cartoons on the iPad over breakfast. (We need to have a talk about her television consumption, now that I think about it.)

But! She did go to a basketball camp the week after school was out (she missed the last day because of Grandpa's funeral) and has been enjoying the new basketball court very much -- she's usually the one organizing those HORSE games, and she's always up for an audience even if she's just shooting around.

Project 333
I get to pick out a whole new wardrobe once July 1 hits, and I've already been working at it a bit. I'll write more about this later -- I've got too much to say to fit in a pointless update. ;) (P333 info here.)

Light update
At the beginning of the month, I was all set to work on the digital photo clutter we've got on our computer, and I even went so far as to buy a new 16 gig USB drive, and then I went on Snapfish to complete a book order.

And learned that Snapfish has changed its operating system or something and I couldn't even find my book. I tried the whole live chat thing and it wasn't particularly helpful. So no book, no pictures off the hard drive, and nothing to show for the month.

Failure! The end.

Supernatural update
Abby has watched a few episodes without me, but that's okay. We're on season four, and here's all you need to know: Everyone is mad at Sam and Dean's all moody because he just spent 40 years in Hell. Sam's got some super powers or something, and Dean's got an angel that keeps popping in on him.

It's probably not supposed to be hilarious, but I am enjoying it, even though it is a bit dark. Sometimes I find myself pondering what's going on or what has happened in the last show we watched. Well, you've got to do something to pass the time.

Weather update
They say when you start talking about the weather, you've officially run out of things to say. But in this case, I'd like to point out that it's pretty rare to have 100º-plus days in June in Oregon. That heatwave last year that totally messed up the rest of the country? Passed us right by. We've been in the 90ºs and 100ºs for the last week, and the forecast looks like so:


Well, whatever, I guess. I kind of like it -- I like being warm -- but it does get exhausting when it's a day in, day out sort of ordeal. Eh, we have air conditioning, and nothing has burned down yet (you know there's going to be major fires this year with as dry as everything is), so there you go.

No comments: