Thursday, June 11, 2015

7 pointless updates

1. I got word this evening that my 92-year-old grandfather was "unresponsive" at lunch today, and the paramedics were called, and they worked on him "for quite a while" and "brought him back" and now he's in the hospital. Apparently he had no pulse. I have no idea what's going on, and I can't concentrate. That's why you get a list of updates. Anything more is beyond my abilities at the moment.

1.5. UPDATE: Saturday, June 13: I'd be remiss to not mention that my grandpa is still in the hospital, but is doing okay. Apparently the valve (a valve?) on his heart partially closed, causing the "episode." My mother says he has a great doctor, that Gramps is fine until he tries to stand up (and his blood pressure drops), and that all signs point to him being able to go "home" to assisted living.

P.S. My grandparents gave their notice to leave at the end of the month -- they want to go home so badly even though it's basically suicide -- but the doctor is telling them to stay in assisted living for their safety. (Uh, you think?)

2. Tomorrow is Abby's and Johanna's last day of school. Come 3:30 p.m., we will have a fifth grader and a junior. I. Can't. Even.

3. Our blueberry bushes are already pumping out the blueberries. We've picked twice. We should probably pick again.

4. I have not checked the raspberries yet. I love raspberries. I really should.

5. I missed the farmers' market this evening because I was tired after a long day at work, I hadn't had time to hit the bank for cash, and I'd forgotten my reusable bags when I'd left the house this morning. So instead of the planned salad and fresh bread, we had industrial pizza and my stomach is pissed.

6. The dog shelter people came to Jo's classroom today, and she really bonded with Josie, and she was SO EXCITED to come home and tell Dad about it and maybe get us signed up as foster dog parents. Because wouldn't it be fun to have Josie for a week? She's calm and a cuddler! Her optimism was no match for Eric's firm refusal. We are truly not dog people, but I can't help but think a dog would be really great for Johanna. It's just that we do better with pets that ignore us is all. Dogs actually require responsibility.

7. It really sucks that I have no idea what the future holds. I like to maintain an illusion of control, but at the end of the day, all I can do is shrug my shoulders and pretend to be okay with the fact that I am NOT.

No comments: