Monday, June 1, 2015

Project 333: Ode to my little black dress

Before Project 333, I thought I needed a different outfit for each day, and if a special occasion happened to befall me, that required Special Occasion Wear.

Kind of stressful for a girl who doesn't even like shopping.

But that was then and this is now. I haven't gone through almost two years of dressing with less for nothing.

Recently I added a little black dress to my 33. I've been on the hunt for one for a while, but hadn't found one that was quite right until a couple of months ago. I liked its lines and simplicity.

Huh. My picture is sad. But trust me, this is
a great dress.

All of this is just to say that in the last four days, I've worn my dress three times: On Thursday to work, on Saturday to a funeral, and on Sunday to a confirmation service. And I felt pretty good about myself too boot.

I've said before that I don't mind wearing things over and over -- I will wear whatever I want whenever I want, repeats be damned. Because you guys, no one cares. And even if they do care, why should I? The world is not going to end if I wear a sweater twice in a row or the same pants twice in a week.

Um, kind of lost my train of thought. Sometimes it's harder to be pointless than you'd expect.

On Thursday, the hottest day of the year, I wore the dress because it was my coolest option. I dressed it up with a pendent and wore the cardigan inside when the air conditioner got out of control.


On Saturday, it had gone from the 80ºs to the 60ºs, but the funeral was inside a church with no graveside service, so I wasn't too worried about staying warm. I used a scarf as a wrap.


And on Sunday, we were again in the 60ºs and again in a church -- this time for my Godson's confirmation. (And can I just say this kid is awesome? He makes me laugh.) I repeated the cardigan and added pearls.

Eric gave me pearls for our 5th
anniversary... 15 years ago.

I kind of missed my dress today when I wore something else. I could maybe do a One Dress Project, now that I think about it.

Fine, my "outfits" aren't really that different. But I tell you this, having just the one dress made getting ready was terribly easy. Minimalism in action! But I'm not telling you to go out and get a little black dress. That would be dumb. Because maybe you don't like black. Maybe you don't like dresses. Maybe you'd rather have a navy dress. Maybe you'd rather have a pair of pants and a t-shirt. I don't know, you guys. I'm just telling a story about my dress and how I rocked the world.

The end.

No comments: