Monday, December 28, 2015

A look back at 2015

As seen on a recent walk around town.

Christmas is over, New Year's is just around the corner, and I am trying to make sense of what the hell even happened in 2015. I was talking with Abby on Sunday, and said I knew this year would be hard, but I didn't expect it to be this hard. She said that we just thought it would be hard in different ways and that's why it seemed to be overly difficult.

My kid is so smart.

Well, whatever. This year seemed to be the best of times and the worst of times, but I think that's pretty much how it is every year. You can't have the sweet without the sour. Or something. I think I read that once. I think I'd much rather have all sweet, though, thankyouverymuch. The sour sucks.

Anyway, as I sit here and think about the past (almost) 365 days, these are the things that stand out for me. I'm trying to be all zen and like, there is no good nor bad, it's just our perceptions, except right now zen is alluding me so you get this:

The Good
  1. Our trips to California and Sunriver were amazing.
  2. I got farther in my zero waste journey.
  3. I continued to be a minimalist. And a damn good one. ;)
  4. I discovered the joy that is art journaling.
  5. I learned I tend to be self-destructive, which may seem bad, but that revelation has been a real eye-opener for me. It helps me stay on track.
  6. My husband is darling in so many ways. We celebrated our 20th anniversary!
  7. My girls are smart and make parenting extremely easy.
  8. Let's not leave out Skilly. He's the best. Well... mostly.
  9. I loved my year in the newsroom -- every single minute of it. That's not to say that sometimes I don't want to ram my head through a wall, because frustrations are normal and they happen, but you guys! I get to read and write all day long! That doesn't even seem like working.
  10. I started acupuncture and reflexology, and that has made a big difference in my overall health and mental well-being.
  11. I embraced the light. Sometimes I had more success than other times.
  12. My hair is finally its natural color -- from root to end!
The Bad
  1. We lost Eric's cousin Aaron and my grandfather. We found out that Uncle Bob's cancer has spread to his spine and blood. We learned that sweet Celia, our friend and hairdresser, has cancer and there's nothing that can be done about that. We also lost our kind neighbor and friend, Tom.
  2. Just so many funerals.
The Ugly
  1. I fought anxiety a lot this year. I did allergy elimination through my acupuncturist, and I think with that and my monthly reflexology appointments (just for relaxation), I'm better overall. I still have some general and social anxiety, which can be a pain, but I also have tools to get myself through it.
  2. Accepting that my grandparents are getting older.
  3. Grieving. Grieving is so super hard, you guys.
  4. Just getting through December. But I did it.
You know what, 2015? Thank you for the opportunities, and the good times, and the lessons learned from all the rest. Here's to a more peaceful 2016.

No comments: