Monday, July 25, 2011

A truly crap-tastic day

This is so not the entry I wanted to write today.  When I got up this morning, I was feeling fairly optimistic.  (I know, weird--but you try living with Eric for almost 16 years and see if it doesn't rub off on you, too.)  But today?  Sucked.  On multiple levels.

Let's recap, shall we?

We were gone all weekend, so all those chores I should have done last week but didn't get around to, what with working full time and everything, continued undone.  Not that THAT was a big deal.  I had a strategy!  Toss in a load of laundry, pick up the main room, more laundry, get fruit measured out for slated jam making tonight, more laundry, and maybe attempt to clean the kitchen.

Add to that: Scream at the girls to PLEASE QUIT FIGHTING, repeating every five minutes.

(When does school start again?)

As I'm walking out the door to go to work, it occurs to me that I didn't look up the cheesecake recipe for Abby's pre-birthday party tomorrow evening.  The birthday girl gets to pick her dinner and dessert, and who am I to deny my kid cheesecake?  Only it would have been sort of nice to actually have ingredients on hand in so I could work on that as the jam cooks.  Well, whatevs.  Dinner, then store, then jam, then cheesecake, right?  I can be calm!  I can be collected!

(You don't believe me, do you?  Wise.)

Work, while fine in and of itself, continued the Train of Suckiness.  First of all, one of our beloved managers passed away this weekend, not unexpectedly, but not expected, either.  A thick sadness has settled over the office.  And secondly, there was a major technological breakdown, so no phones, faxes, email or internet all morning... and by the time I got there, everyone was playing catchup and pretending that the phones, faxes, email and internet were working. Which was not actually the case no matter what our provider says otherwise.

It was sort of interesting, trying to get my work done without the technology I rely on.  No credit cards, no way of getting that thing I typed to the person I typed it for (yay USB drives!), no way to fax the proofs I'd promised I'd send out today--and no way for me to get them anyway.  I vented some frustration by tossing my pen into my inbox.  Two points for me!  Unfortunately, that didn't make my computer actually work any better.

So finally, home.  I'd had the smarts to take tomato sauce out of the freezer before going to work, so at least I had something concrete to go on.  (I am not the best person to be around when I am hungry.  It's like all that poise I've managed to acquire these 39 years just flies right out the window, and I'm roughly three again.)  Spaghetti, green beans, some bread I tossed in the freezer and forgot about so it tastes all weird now, and blueberries.  A dinner of champions.  I had not lost it yet, and I was feeling very, very proud of myself.

Which was when Johanna took her plate of spaghetti et al off of the counter to move to the table... and dumped the entire thing onto the floor.

I don't know, people.  There's only so much a girl can take, and I think I reached that particular limit at noon.

BUT.  I suppose I should also mention that Eric just came in, and listened to my sad rambling tale, and actually seemed sorry about my pain and agony, and gave me a back rub.  So you know, maybe I can do this whole thing tomorrow after all.

On days like this, all I want to do is crank up Linkin Park and not think.  Thus, tonight's musical link is to "By Myself."  Because it IS LOUD.

No comments: