Tuesday, July 26, 2011

What a difference 12 years makes...

Twelve years ago, I was a week overdue.  I had lost all hope that Abby would ever be born, and I was trying to reconcile myself with the fact that clearly, I was going to be pregnant forever.

My mother refused to leave me alone in my house, so I drove... or maybe even Dad came and got me, I can't remember... to my parents' house and spent the day reading "Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe."  One upside of being pregnant forever: Convenient book shelf on what used to be your midsection.

Mom invited us to dinner, so Eric came over after work.  Mom made halibut fish and chips, and I spent the entire dinner shifting around in my seat, unable to get comfortable.  One downside of being pregnant forever: You are never comfortable.

Today, I am making Abby a cheesecake (the birthday girl rules... even if her birthday isn't until tomorrow).  I'm getting the house ready for company, trying to be stealth about wrapping Abby's birthday present, and continuously annoying my precious first born by telling her that I CANNOT BELIEVE SHE IS 12.  ("You say that every year," Abby says.  And I do, because I still can't believe how fast she's growing.)

Happy pre-birthday, Abigail Rose!

Abby has requested today's song be Cake's "Short Skirt/Long Jacket."  Because I'm MAKING CAKE.  And we love that song.

No comments: