Wednesday, January 4, 2012

It seems like everything is gray and there's no color to behold

This is what the new year looks like at our house:

What a view!

Cheerful, isn't it?

In case it doesn't translate, that's fog.  I feel like I'm walking around inside a faded postcard that someone forgot about behind the couch.  There's no color anywhere.  It's very boring.

To make matters worse, my brain is also all fogged up, which does not help very much with the thinking.  I've made some truly stupid mistakes at work.  They fall on the petty side of the equation (whatever the heck that means), but still.  It's embarrassing to have to say, um, wait, WHAT? over and over again.

Anyway.  Today, Deb the Receptionist (not to be confused with Deb in Sales) tells me that "I" got a message during the night, and the lady was all like, hey Hillary*, I'm new in town, and.  (Deb never did say what the lady wanted.  I suppose she took care of it herself.  Or that lady is all, why isn't Hillary calling me back?  That's sort of sad to think about.)  So Deb makes a copy of the "how to change your voicemail message" guidelines/whatever that was and says, you've been here almost a year.  You need to do this today.  And I was all like, oh.  Okay, I guess.

(She was very nice about it, just FYI.  She's a very nice lady.)

So I spent about 3-3/4 hours thinking about it, and then at 4:55 p.m. followed the directions Deb had given me (although it took me three times because my brain is fog, remember?) and then I start to change the message... except that I get embarrassed and start laughing midway through and was all, STACEY!  Please do this for me!  Our voices sound practically identical according to the public!  And she was all, no, you big baby!  Suck it up!

Not very helpful.

So I pulled it together and said something to the effect of, this is Trisha and I'm away from my desk at the moment, but if you leave a message I will l return your call.  As soon as possible.  Because I sort of thought that would calm the public down a little, you know, thinking that I would call straight away, except it was an afterthought, so there's this awkward pause.

Nailed it!

Wait, what were we talking about?

*I got Hillary's job when she went back to work at the library.  Now you know.  You're welcome.

P.S. Experimenting with italics, since quotations really aren't my thing.  I'm undecided.  Anyone want to vote?

Seether, Fine Again.  I was driving the girls to school and this song shuffled up and I was like, wow, Seether, word up.  Because I am aware now of how everything's gonna be fine.  Spring will get here eventually.  That should brighten things up a bit.  (Also, I think this guy needs a hug.)

No comments: