Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Nothing to gain

I have a new best friend, just FYI.

I was at a local fruit packing warehouse Friday morning, picking up boxes of Fuji apples and Comice pears.  And a couple of pineapples.  (Don't ask.)  The place was packed.  Maybe because it's a packing warehouse.  Or maybe that was just a coincidence.

Anyway, so I'm up at the cash register with my boxes o' fruit, and the lady is all, that's a pretty ring.  And I was like, oh, thanks, it was my husband's great-great grandmothers.  And she was like, really?  That's so cool.  Did you just get engaged?

I was trying to concentrate on writing my check, because I don't really write checks anymore and there are a lot of lines to fill out.  Plus.  How am I supposed to know what day it is, let alone the name of where I'm at?

But I paused a second to say, oh, no, I've been married for 16 years.  And she was all, is that even possible?  And I was like, sure.  I'm 39.  And she was all, I would not have guessed that.  You don't look it.

And I was all, you are my new best friend.  Which made her laugh, so I'm not sure how seriously she took my friendly overtures, but I'm telling you, she really is my new best friend.

Probably I should have asked her name, though.

Linkin Park, Nobody's Listening.  I LOVE this song.  "I hate my rhymes, but I hate everyone else's more."  That's just hilarious.

No comments: