Thursday, January 26, 2012

We've done this before

They say that when you start talking about the weather, it's because you don't have anything left to say.  But I'm totally going to talk about the weather, and I have all kinds of things to say.  Well, for one thing, that's all any of us are talking about, because it's been a heck of a week.  And for another, I'll do what I want!  (Um, to quote Abby.  She says that all the time.  And yes, it does get old!  Twelve-year-olds are a lot like three-year-olds, if you want to know the truth.)

So.  Here's what we were looking at two days ago:

Snow.  Joy.

And here's the same shot today:

Sunshine!  Joy!

Please note that all the snow on the deck?  HAS MELTED!  And you can actually see the road!  That's a beautiful sight right there.  It's sort of weird to drive at a normal rate of speed again.  I've been in second gear pretty much non-stop since last Tuesday.  And just FYI, not everyone appreciates it when you go 20 miles an hour, even when it's icy out.  Some people just suck.  There's nothing I can do about that, so we'll move on.

The shoe Johanna lost out by the play structure?  Yeah, still lost.  But after that little ordeal, Eric got her a new pair of shoes AND a new pair of boots, so problem solved.  That shoe was on its last legs anyway.  Johanna is not really the sort of kid who is easy on her shoes.  Or anything, really.  We are in acceptance.  It's not a big deal.

Anyway, the truly great thing about all of this melting action is that I can get out of the house now.  Oh, sure, there are days when I don't leave the house (and now that I'm working, those days are few and far between.  And awesome), but that's because it's my choice.  When you can't leave because you can't even get out of your driveway, that's a problem.  A mentally exhausting, emotionally draining problem.  Just let me out, yo.  I'm not cut out for Antarctic living.  Or Arctic living.  Anything with an "-rctic," really, isn't for me.  That letter combination is just messy.

And yes, it's only January, so I'm aware we probably have more winter coming.  I'm trying to be tough, but wow.  I'd be okay with an early spring, if anyone is taking votes on that sort of thing.

Oh, by the way, thanks to modern medicine, Johanna's eyes are looking MUCH better.  As in, you can't even tell anything is wrong with her at all.  She is thrilled to be back at school.  I am thrilled to have four hours of uninterrupted quiet time before I go to work.  Win-win!

Tori Amos, Goodbye Pisces.  Well, because that's what just shuffled up.  Abby doesn't like Tori at all, which makes me wonder about that kid.  "I cried and I washed my tears / that turned into diamond / ice into ice and if it could freeze / my heart wouldn't float away."  Sometimes I think Tori needs a hug.  Anyway, there you go.

No comments: