Friday, January 13, 2012

It's all right

As I've mentioned numerous times now, the girls are in an Avatar: The Last Airbender phase.  They've watched these shows I'm not even sure how many times at this point.  It's all a blur to me, but they seem to remember each episode with perfect recall.

Young brains.  Probably.

Anyway, Johanna's favorite character?  Sokka.  Let's find a picture of this dashing young man:

Honestly, I don't get it.

She likes him because he's funny ("I'm just a guy who loves comedy") AND he has a boomerang.  And maybe because he has nice hair.

Anyway, guess what she wanted to spend Uncle Tim's Christmas money on?  Hint: Not the DVDs.

Thus began what I like to call The Boomerang Tour.  I just knew a boomerang would be way easier than a Ginny Weasley Lego Mini-Figure or a Monster High doll.  I mean, as far as her requests go, this one seemed sort of normal.

So.  I went to Wal-Mart.  No boomerangs.  I went to Walgreens (which I'm boycotting in a general sort of way, but haven't broken up with yet).  No boomerangs.  I tried the local toy store.  No boomerangs.  Everyone just sort of looked at me like I was asking for a cooler of severed heads.

Boomerangs aren't THAT weird, are they?

At work, I complained about our town's lack of boomerangs.  Angela in Sales (who has young kids and understands the weight of these things) was all, did you try the hobby store or the Dollar Store?

And I was like, no!  Genius!  And started making phone calls.  I pictured my Dollar Store conversation going something like this:

Me: Do you have boomerangs?
D.S.: Yes!
Me: How much are they?

HA HA HA!  Oh, the wit.

But I decided to call the hobby store first, because it's downtown, and I work downtown, and do you see where I'm going with that?  And the guy was like, yes we do, for $6.  So I was like, Do not let it out of your sight!

Hooray for the hobby store!  After work, I went in and took the one blue boomerang (not like I had a lot of choices.  That was the only boomerang) and the guy was like, hey, you're the boomerang lady!  And I was like, yes I am.  And you are granting a wish here, just FYI.

I could hardly wait to bring it home to show Johanna.  Who was THRILLED.  She announced that she's going to be just like Sokka when she grows up, so now she needs some sort of bag she can wear on her back so Boomerang (that's right, it graduated to a capital B) is always handy when she's out fighting bad guys.

So.  Mission accomplished!  Except I don't think Sokka gives his Boomerang kisses...

P.O.D., Boom.  Um, because that's as close to "boomerang" as I can get.  Plus, this song is awesome.  Eric thinks that some football team in the south needs to adopt this as their theme song.  "BOOM!  Here comes the BOOM!"  I dare you not to rock out to this one...

No comments: