Monday, April 30, 2012

April Pointless Lists

April recap, eh?  Sadly, all that's coming to mind is that I only have two more monthly recaps after this before I turn 40.  The crisis train continues to roll on down the track, I tell you what.  Hey, I don't think I've mentioned this yet, but anyway, I've got my crisis car picked out and everything, except that Eric says 40 "isn't a big deal" and is so far unmoved.

Which is silly.  I mean, I'm giving him options:

Option one: 1970

Option two: 2003

The only things I'm really firm on is that it has to be a two-seater (I am NOT driving my kids around in my crisis car) and it has to be navy.  I've done the hard part, Eric.  All you have to do is "surprise" me with it.

P.S. This weekend I succumbed to my growing age insecurity and bought a really expensive hair straightener and then got my hair cut / thinned, so now I look like a rock star.  Ish.  I look rock star-ish.  Sort of.  Not really.  But I feel better.  Had I had my crisis car, though, this probably would not have happened.

P.P.S. Eric has decided that if THIS is what I'm doing for 40, he'd better start saving now for when I hit menopause.  The darling!  He's always thinking ahead.  This probably means a menopause car is in my future.  Cha-ching!

Pointless list time!

Books read:
Catcher, Caught by Sarah Collins Honenberger.  You know, this isn't exactly the sort of book I'd usually gravitate towards.  But since all I think about these days is cancer and the various family members who have various forms of it, I figured, what the heck.  Because that's what this book is about--a kid with leukemia whose parents won't / don't get him medical treatment.  He gets vitamins and herbs and a trip to some quack in Mexico instead.  He might be dying, but he's also a teenager.  Issues, is what I'm saying, although I'm pretty sure this kid is the sweetest teenage boy ever created.  He's found and identified with Holden Caulfield, so there's parallels between them constantly.

Anyway, I really liked it.  I couldn't help it.  It was a bummer and a half, and it ends sort of like, what the hell just happened?, but it's interesting to think about.  How much control do you have when you're a kid? How much do parents actually listen to their kids or take into account their opinions?  So that's that.

...And then I meant to get back to American Gods because I love Neil Gaiman, but I think I have to be in a certain sort of mood for that one, and I am most certainly not.  So then I decided to get the Harry Potter collection on ebook now that Pottermore is open, but then I bought a really expensive hair straightener, so there went my slush fund.  I'm reading the first Game of Thrones book instead.  Running a kingdom is tough.  I think it's better to just be plain.

Movies watched:
Rango.  Well, Johnny Depp, so when Eric and the girls started watching, I was all like, okay, I guess I'll watch too.  It was cute.  And a little odd.  So yeah, just as I expected.

The girls are pretty much just using Netflix to watch TV shows they'd be able to see if we had cable.  These shows are stupid and predictable, but they give me hours of quiet, so really, win-win.

Best thing I got in the mail:


Ron Swanson!  From Parks and Rec!

Someday I hope to post about all the adventures Ron and I have been on.

P.S. My friend Dave is awesome.

Garden update:

I swear this is spinach.  I think.

DEFINITELY lettuce!

St. Francis looks thrashed, but the tulips are pretty.

Things I learned:
When you start the Occupy Trisha movement, prepare to be occupied.

No comments: