Friday, April 20, 2012

Speak, but don't pretend

So for some reason when I opened up our front door to let Skilly into the house, the deadbolt decided it hated me and left a smidgen of metal inside my fingernail.  It's like it's both in AND under, which makes it even more special.  It hurts like the dickens.  I've been unsuccessful so far in getting it out, probably because it's on my right hand.  My left hand has no idea what it's doing.  Everything I do with that finger now hurts, even typing this.  But it's either type or cry, and I just don't have that sort of emotional range today.

Seriously, how am I going to get this thing out?  You can see in this picture that I attempted to cut my fingernail back, except all that happened is now my fingernail is uglier than usual:


You can see that little dark speck, right?  Jeez, it's amazing that something so small could hurt SO MUCH.

Getting more coffee... changing the subject...

Here's something cheery I've been meaning to mention: Radon.  Turns out our little area is a pocket for radon!  Eric says it's because we sit on a cinder cone (I actually paid attention!  Except I have no idea what that means, not being a show-off geology minor like SOME people I know).  Outside the readings are fine--which makes sense, I guess, because the radon gets all diluted in the air.  I might have just made that up--but inside?  Scary high.

This whole thing came about, by the way, because one of our neighbors was diagnosed with lung cancer, and everyone was all like, the hell?, because this guy doesn't smoke or anything.  So he got his house tested, and then the neighbors did theirs, and eventually we heard about it and Eric checked ours.  And everyone around us is scary high.

So Eric called and got some quotes, and it turns out that getting radon out of a house is quite a good business.  We finally got "mitigated" on April 17, a couple months after this whole ordeal started (well, waiting isn't that big of a deal, I guess, when you've been breathing this stuff in for nine years anyway).  We've got ugly pipe in the garage now, and ugly pipe alongside the house, but the numbers are going down, and honestly, what's a little ugly pipe anyway?

It could be worse.

Skilly checking out the extension chord
we're using to run the fan until
the electrician gets here...

So that's my public service announcement / after school special for the week.  Please get your houses tested.

Now, I'm off to dig some metal out of my fingernail.

P.S. Eric had to help me dig the metal out of my fingernail.  He used an X-acto knife, which was totally awesome.  And painful.  Turns out I do have the emotional range to cry after all.

So, SO many song possibilities.  Do I want to focus on air or panic?  I put thought into these songs, people!  Oh, I've got it now: Seether, Remedy.  This song is actually pretty sad when you pay attention to the lyrics.  I have a feeling there are just a lot of people in this world who need hugs.

No comments: