Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Try to wake

I can always tell what kind of weekend it's been based solely by the state of my kitchen.  Right now?  Total science experiment.  I'm feeling a little grouchy about the fact that apparently I'm the only one in our little family who can clean a dish or wipe a counter.

Upside: Abby was tired of no treats in the house and made a batch of cookies last night.  Having kids is finally paying off.

Downside: She thinks that when you cook, you don't have to clean.  Well, there's a life lesson waiting to happen.

Upside: The dishwasher detergent that I've been making my own damn self is awesome.  As I was unloading another batch of dishes this morning, I was pondering how I don't really rinse them off or hose them down with vinegar anymore.  Some detergent, a smidgen of castille soap, and wallah!  Sparkly and pretty.  That's really all I'm asking for.

Hello, my pretties!

Upside: I have three "upsides" and only one "downside."

Downside: Make that two "downsides" because my kitchen is still a mess.

Tuesday irony: My public is always complaining about my lack o' posts, and then when I post BACK TO BACK, she doesn't even notice.

What I really like: Making lists like this.  It's ever so much fun.

Well, anyway.

So Johanna had her first coach pitch baseball game this weekend, PLUS it was opening day, which meant a parade and little league introductions and the entire works.  I love how our town is so small that we can just shut down the main street (also known as "the only street") for a little league parade.  It took an entire three minutes, but still!  That's pretty awesome.

Johanna with base coach Daddy.

So in tee-ball, everyone bats and there are no outs.  In coach pitch, everyone bats and there are outs, except that doesn't happen very often.  General lack of aim and whatnot.  Also, the kids haven't figured out how to run more than one base at a time.  All in all, it's quite hilarious and enjoyable.

Hey, one thing worth noting is that last year, opening day was FREEZING COLD.  This year, it was warm!  We wore shorts!  And t-shirts!  And the girls ate snow cones without a hint of irony!

You'd think that opening day would be enough activity, right?  Yeah, me too, but that's not the way things work in real life for some reason.  It was also our valley's blossom fest weekend (hey, we actually have blossoms for blossom fest!  That doesn't always happen) so there were a ton of activities going on as well.

Cherry tree, just FYI.

Admittedly, we didn't get to as many of the activities as I'd hoped--there was just too much going on in our little world--but we did manage to hit a craft fair at (where else?) the fairgrounds, where we saw all sorts of people.  Um, that we actually knew, not just people in general, although there were plenty of those, too.  We also had the fam (including my public) over for a barbecue, which was fun.  And I managed to vacuum out my car.  Wow, the girls are pack rats.  I can't decide if I'm impressed or horrified.

P.S. Sorry I keep harping on the weather, but come on!  We had snow three weeks ago, so the fact that we got up into the 80s this weekend was truly amazing and awesome.  It was the sort of weather that makes me want to read The Host (because it's set in the desert) out on the porch.  I did not actually get to do that, but hey, it's only April, right?  I DID get a sunburn, though!  And a heat rash!  That's something, I suppose.  Also!  You have to look really carefully, but we've got little lettuce plants poking out of the dirt.  I cannot even tell you how happy that makes me feel.

10,000 Maniacs, Like the Weather.  It's about a cold dark day and not wanting to get out of bed, but still, it's the only song I can recall about the weather.  Whatever, it made sense to me.

No comments: