Monday, April 9, 2012

This is my life

I've spent my entire morning trying to create our Disneyland scrapbook on Snapfish... from last May.  Well, better late than never, right?  Actually what happened is that Snapfish sent me a coupon for 50% off as many photo books as I can pound out by April 15.  So, like one, I guess.

Still!  Bright side!  I figured out how to get our %$^& scanner/printer/copier/world leader pretend to actually SCAN TO A USB DRIVE.  I'm shouting that part on purpose because it's taken me six months to figure that one out and I'm very excited.  Motivation: Wanting to put the silhouette I had made of the girls at Disneyland in the album.  For some reason it wouldn't scan the entire thing, but still!

Good enough.

Pretty chill, huh?  (Oops, sorry, it's only cool when Abby says it.  My bad.)

What I probably should have been doing instead is cleaning my disaster of a kitchen and taking a walk / maybe including a detox in there somewhere because wow, Easter was a little TOO awesome.  Instead I've just been sitting at the computer trying to remember when we rode Indiana Jones for the fifth time.

But I have A LOT to say about Easter, and I'm afraid if you saw the post I've been writing in all it's humongous glory (well, I got tired of Disneyland, you see, plus Snapfish is sloooooow), you'd be outta here like a flash.  So I'm going to attempt to post it in pieces. 

Let's just start with Easter morning.  Baby steps!

The girls woke up around 6:50 a.m., which I'm pretty sure is the latest we've ever gotten to sleep in on Easter morning.  I'm telling you, seven and 12 is where it's at!  Abby gave up video games for Lent, so the EB* deemed her worthy of the second Harry Potter wii Lego extravaganza.  Johanna pretty much gave up nothing, but still, she got the new Muppets movie just for the sheer awesomeness she brings to the game every single day.  And they got a bit of candy, although not much.  Well, there's no sense in going crazy, right?  A chocolate bunny, a Reese's Pieces thing shaped like a carrot...

This thing.

...and that's all they need to be happy.

Not that the video game and movie didn't hurt.

So Eric and Abby pop the game in and try to figure out how to get Dudley and Harry off the playground and onto this platform that you know leads straight to the Dementors, but also leads back home.  Only there's these Lego pieces you're supposed to levitate or something to make a staircase and no one can figure it out.  After ten minutes Abby goes to find a cheat on the computer while Johanna gives it a whirl.  Abby 0, Johanna 1.  In about three seconds.  Abby didn't even have time to do a search.  We're like, how did you do that?  And she just shrugged and sat back down to watch.  Because that's what she does.  Watch Eric and Abby play.  Well, whatever works.

After a rather relaxing morning, we got ready to go to 10 o'clock Mass.  It was awesome because they changed some of the responses and prayers in November, so all us regular folks know we're supposed to say AND WITH YOUR SPIRIT, but the Christmas and Easter Catholics were all, and also with you, and we were all, losers!

Wait.  This is not making me sound like a very good person.  Um, scratch all that.  

Mass was packed.  It always is at Easter.  We were in a pocket of little kids, and they were all loud and crying and freaking out, and I looked at my two little angels just sitting there being perfect, and I was feeling pretty smug.  Not that babies aren't awesome, because they are.  ESPECIALLY when they're not yours.

That's not really helping me look great either.  Wow, this is hard.  Look, my kids were all loud and crying and freaking out later in the car after a rather long day.  So I'm not one who should really talk, I know this.   But who cares?  They kept it together in public.  And I actually got to pay attention.

Well... moving right along.  We managed to get Johanna in a dress for the occasion with a minimum of wailing and gnashing of teeth.  And yes, we had to bring a change of clothes for afterwards, but the point here is that we actually looked like we were sort of with it for once.  Johanna's socks WERE mismatched.  I think, however, you can still categorize this as a "win."

There's always an Easter Egg hunt after Mass, as well as coffee and doughnuts, but the girls don't even bother to ask if we're doing that, because they just know.  Eric and I are just not going to deal with the crowds for that sort of thing.  My children are totally deprived.  On the upside, I think we've pretty much taught them that the world does not revolve around them and that life pretty much is an unfair bowl of suckiness.  So they have low expectations, is what I'm trying to say.  That should serve them well later on, I would think.

And then!  Well, more stuff happened, but we'll get to that another day, okay?  Because technically I need to get ready for work now.

*Easter Bunny.  Eric's cool lingo.

R.E.M., World Leader Pretend.  For my wireless scanner thing, since there's apparently no Easter songs on my iPod.  I've always really liked this song.  "I raised the wall and I will be the one to knock it down."  I know what you mean, Michael, I know what you mean.  (Also: "This is my mistake.  Let me make it good."  This song is too quotable...)

No comments: