Tuesday, April 17, 2012

We'll forget the sun in his jealous sky

Oops, I forgot to finish up my whole Easter extravaganza.  Well, when you ramble a lot, things get sort of scrambled.

Basically, all that's left for me to tell you about that day is that we went to Eric's parents' house around 4 p.m., and saw his brothers and sister and their various spouses and children (whom I actually like quite a bit and feel badly about calling them "various," because they're more than that, but).  Visited with Eric's aunts, too.  Abby and Johanna helped themselves to some desserts because they hadn't had enough of that yet, apparently.  And we learned that our niece and her husband are expecting!  That makes two new little people in the family this year.

And: Don't look down!  I can't remember who came up with this or why, but really, it makes a lot of sense.

Also: Eric and I decided on the way to his parents' house that we're going to get some property in Phoenix for a vacation home.  Because I'm tired of being cold.  Abby and Kameron are in, but apparently my Trisha Math Skillz did not convince Eric's brother Chris.  I think maybe my sister-in-law Elaine is in, though.

P.S. Apparently Kam is REALLY in.  Elaine says he won't shut up about it.  Honestly, that makes me very happy.

Anyway!  While Johanna and Abby and her friend Lily and I were being all awesome last weekend looking at art and alpacas, Eric was at home working on projects.  He and Chris decided to put in 30 blueberry bushes sometime last year, and Saturday (the 14th, in case anyone needs to know that sort of thing) was the big planting day.  They worked on readying the beds the weekend prior, and actually did even more random work before that, except I don't pay attention so I can't tell you what that is until Eric reads this and is all, um, let me tell you a story...

Why 30, you ask?  Well, because that's how much room we have.  I'm totally not even exaggerating.  See?

Chris read this variety does better in raised beds.
I think they look pretty darling.

Above our garden area.

Grow fast, little bushes!

In like five years, we will be swimming in blueberries.  I'll be giving gallon drums of blueberry jam away at Christmas.

I think that sounds sort of fun.

When the bushes start to grow, the boys are going to make trellises because, obviously, they're in there pretty tight and eventually we won't have a garden path and how will we pick them?

But that's not all!  (You need to read that last sentence in a Price Is Right sort of voice for the full effect.)  On Sunday (the 15th, as it were) Eric decided the time was nye to plant lettuce and spinach.  He was going to plant cilantro too but apparently that needs to go in only when the threat of frost is over.  And since we had snow like two weeks ago, Eric isn't feeling all that lucky.

Eric makes such cute little straight rows.

We (and by "we" I really mean "Eric") planted lettuce and spinach for the first time last summer, and wow, that was truly a marvel.  Walking out the front door to pick a salad is pretty empowering, if you want to know the truth.  Take that, The Man!

But instead of five years like the blueberries, Eric says that in 40 to 50 days we should be eating this stuff.

I think I can make it that long...

Sting, Fields of Gold.  Because that's sort of plant-y, right?  I got this CD, incidentally, about the same time Eric and I started dating, and I still feel a bit sick to my stomach when I listen to this song.  Love is sort of painful.  Anyway, favorite part of this whole song: "I never made promises lightly and there have been some that I've broken, but I swear in the days still left we'll walk in fields of gold."

No comments: