Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Time won't keep us anymore

I mentioned in my last post that we'd spent the weekend in the Town of My Birth and how Ann and the girls and I got kicked out of a bar.  (Lesson: Maybe read the posted signs.)  But what I didn't mention is that we spent the night and the better part of Sunday with my grandparents.  

My grandparents are beyond awesome.  I need to just get that out there right now.  A couple of stories I don't want to forget:

1. I was complaining about turning 40 this summer, and Gramps was all, "What are YOU complaining about?  I'm going to be 90."  Well played, Grandpa.  Well played.

2. My grandparents do not have wifi, so my poser iPad was pretty much worthless.  But I pulled it out anyway and tried to teach Gramps how to play Angry Birds.  He kept making the birds go backwards and did not get the whole concept of lining the birds up for maximum pig-hitting potential.  It was hilarious, though.  Well, for Abby and I, at least.

3. This is not an awesome story, but they can't all be: After Mass they took us to some all-you-can-eat buffet, which was actually sort of depressing.  Talk about food from the middle aisle.  But anyway, after eating pizza and some spinach leaves and jello, Johanna announced she needed to use the restroom... and then proceeded to freak out because she was sure she was going to throw up.  I was like, you know what kid, this is just the sort of stomach we have.  And she was like, I wish we were all individuals because I don't want your stomach.  But I am glad I have Daddy's butt.  And I was like, me too, because Daddy's butt is a thing of beauty.  I wish I had Daddy's butt.  And by that time Abby had joined us in the bathroom to see what was wrong and she was all, will you please quit talking about Daddy's butt?  It's creepy.  And I was like oops, right, sorry.  Lest you're worried how this all turned out, Johanna did not throw up and was running around like normal when we got back to the house.

4. On Sunday morning, Abby and I decided to head out into the hinterlands and see what we could find.  Eric thought maybe the girls needed new swimming suits this year, but Johanna opted to stay at the house and watch cartoons instead of shopping.  (My grandparents have cable and she is deprived.)  So as we were headed out the door, Johanna explained what sort of swimming suit she'd like: "Something green, with penguins or frogs on it.  I'm good with that.  Or one of my favorite animals, like a bat or a cheetah.  Triangles and circles are also good."  Needless to say, we did not emerge victorious on that front.  

Abby did find me a $4 shirt at JC Penney that was pretty awesome.  She also had me try on some shirts of questionable taste just for kicks.  We went into a few teenager-esque stores that were sort of frightening, even for her.  We had a good time.  Abby is quite entertaining when she wants to be.

5. Grammie made us dinner--roasted chicken, steamed red potatoes, salad, corn on the cob, apple pie--which was completely awesome.  (I had to talk her down from making green beans and carrots.  There's only so much you can eat at 1 p.m.)  I meant to stay awake on the way home but I didn't last 20 minutes.  P.S. Johanna could not figure out why we ate dinner for lunch.  Abby tried to explain, but I'm not sure how much sunk in.  No matter.

So we had a very good weekend, is what I'm saying.  And then we came home and I had a dentist appointment on Monday and I have two small cavities and I'm pissed because I haven't had cavities in years and I don't want to get fillings.  What I really want to do is just take a nap.

P.S. Happy anniversary, Mom and Dad!

Chevelle, Same Old Trip.  Huh, these lyrics are a little angry, and I most definitely am not (well, except for the cavity part, but that had nothing to do with our trip).  Ah, well.  Have I mentioned what a great album Hats Off to the Bull is lately?

No comments: