Sunday, May 13, 2012

Best. Mother's Day. Ever.

My Mother's Day wish this year was pretty simple: Give me the day off, but let all the stuff I normally do--the housework and cooking and laundry et al--still get done.

Well, simple for me.  I mean, that is sort of like asking for the moon.

But!  I totally got my wish, and plenty more besides.  Like cake!  And cards!  And a really lovely breakfast AND a really lovely dinner!  And a new ebook!  And lots of time to read!

Here's how my day played out:

Omelets for breakfast and a cup o' joe.  And my Jo!
Note the flowers: Catmint and tulips.  Perfect.

Front of Abby's card...

...And the back.
P.S. For obvious reasons, Abby is the
card maker in the family.

WHO could this be from?!?

ONE of Johanna's cards.  The kid had a lot
to say this year, apparently.

Abby making me a cake.  Or two, actually,
since she used powdered sugar instead
of flour in the first.  Oopsies!

Me and my Kindle, chillaxin'.
IN THE SUN.

Cake!  In the middle of the day!

Dinner: Grilled sandwiches, fries and salad.
Eric makes the best grilled sandwiches EVER.

I realize this is already too much to take in, but I've got a couple of stories to add.

The scene: Over breakfast.

Eric: So, Mama, today you get the day off!  But that's not all!  We're going to clean the house for you...
[Girls shaking heads vigorously]
Eric: ...And if anyone has a question, they're gonna ask me and not Mama.
Abby: What if I need to ask about my menstruation cycle?
Eric: Uh... then I'll do my best.
Johanna: I think we should ask Mama questions.  Otherwise she'll get so bored.
Me: I think I'll be okay.

***

The Scene: Over dinner.

Abby: So Dad and I have bonded now because we talked about menstruation.
Eric: She asked about cramps. I told her it was because her egg gets stuck in her Fallopian tube.
Me: I'm pretty sure that's wrong.
Eric: PRETTY sure, but not positive.
Me: I'm googling that.
[Later, with google as my guide, which is pathetic, I realize]
Me: Um, it's the uterine lining contracting.
Abby: In "most women."  I'm not "most women."
Me: Well, if you want to ever pass Biology, maybe don't listen to your father.

The end.  Seriously, people, I don't think this day could have been any better.  It was so good, in fact, that I'm going to have to step up my game for Father's Day.  Email me your ideas now.  Please. 

No comments: